Trolling motor install on 282 Sailfish

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I test drove a 272 in Cape Coral that had Rhodan 84” on it with 3 lithium batteries, the issue here was charging the lithium batteries takes a higher output than what the engines could produce so all charging came from shore power, about 3hrs of spot lock in marginal wind and current before the boat started to drift and couldn’t keep up according to the seller, I’ll find a pic

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have finished a wood template for my 96” Rhodan for my 282. I did not want to cut the bow rail so I made a plate that attaches to the pulpit. I have some preliminary pictures though I have extended the final template back to the windless. I attached a rope to the bottom of the shaft to assist with deployment and recovery. The final is at the fabricators shop and I’m just waiting for it to be complete so I can get it coated. The ropes in the picture are just for safety since I wasn’t sure if the wood would crack or not. I’ll post pics of the final once it’s done.
I like this concept a lot, thanks for sharing. I like how this doesn't require mods to bow rail or the nav lights.

Taking this a little further, this mounting plate could be easily removable if the top plate is made wider than the pulpit, say about 1" projecting on the non-mount side (mount side is already projecting). There could be two 1/2" dia holes on each projecting side, just clear of the pulpit. A bottom plate could be made with matching hole pattern to act as a clamp plate when thru bolts with lock nuts are installed. The contact side of both plates could be lined with an adhered thin layer of high density rubber backing to add grip and protect the gel coat when clamped. This could be easily removed if trolling motor won't be used or if trailering. Does not require any drilling into pulpit or boat.

What battery and charging setup are you going with?

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like this concept a lot, thanks for sharing. I like how this doesn't require mods to bow rail or the nav lights.

Taking this a little further, this mounting plate could be easily removable if the top plate is made wider than the pulpit, say about 1" projecting on the non-mount side (mount side is already projecting). There could be two 1/2" dia holes on each projecting side, just clear of the pulpit. A bottom plate could be made with matching hole pattern to act as a clamp plate when thru bolts with lock nuts are installed. The contact side of both plates could be lined with an adhered thin layer of high density rubber backing to add grip and protect the gel coat when clamped. This could be easily removed if trolling motor won't be used or if trailering. Does not require any drilling into pulpit or boat.

What battery and charging setup are you going with?
Good point, unfortunately it’s already being made and I did want it to be permanent. I’m going with 3 12v Interstate batteries in the compartment under the mid berth along with a genie 3 bank charger. My plan is going to be changing it up to lithium at some point but I got the batteries for cost from a friend. Because I’m planning on swapping batteries at some point I think I’m going to use an extension cord and plug it into one of the outlets since the boat is always hooked up to shore power.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I was wondering why you decided on a 87" model, as opposed to a 96" (Rhodan)....
On that hull (similar to my Trophy Pro), will the 87" be long enough to still bite into the water when trying to hold in rough seas?
Now that I have some experience with the 96" Rhodan on my Trophy Pro (same hull as Sailfish), I can tell you NEED AT LEAST the 96". Unless you are only gonna fish bluebird flat days with no swell, the prop is definitely going to cavitate with an 87".

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I have finished a wood template for my 96” Rhodan for my 282. I did not want to cut the bow rail so I made a plate that attaches to the pulpit. I have some preliminary pictures though I have extended the final template back to the windless. I attached a rope to the bottom of the shaft to assist with deployment and recovery. The final is at the fabricators shop and I’m just waiting for it to be complete so I can get it coated. The ropes in the picture are just for safety since I wasn’t sure if the wood would crack or not. I’ll post pics of the final once it’s done.
I don't think that is a great idea.
You will be amazed at how much torque that Rhodan generates....that plus the wave action and currents pushing on the motor head leveraged by the long shaft is going to cause stress cracks and possibly result in the pulpit breaking apart.

Accuratepete

Reaction score
How are you going to screw it down. Will you be putting another plate on the bottom and are u cutting the rail

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well it took forever but I finally got the mount back from the fabricator. Now it’s off to get powder coated.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1120.jpeg
    IMG_1120.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Andrewells134

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Has anyone attempted to install on of the new 87” shaft Minn Kota Riptide Terrova trolling motors on the bow of a 282 Sailfish?
Yes I recently had it done on my Sailfish, I had the bow mount strengthened, we adapted the bow rail to allow the trolling motor to raise up and lower. Now the stainless steel rail can open and close. The only thing I have left to do is to have a custom clip made to insert where the rail locks so rather than installing loosing the SS screw I can just insert a locking type pin that will be permanently attached to the rail so it won't fall into the Gulf of Mexico I an in the Houston area.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14