Trolling motor on 208

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I wanted to investigate putting a trolling motor on my 208. Boat is used on Lake Murray in SC and chop will usually be a minor issue. Would mostly like to use if for GPS anchor while striper fishing. Has anyone done this? Concerned that the 60" arm will not get deep enough mounted on the bow. Also wondering how hard it will be to work around the bow rail (without pulpit). Would like to hear from anyone who's done this. I think the previous owner of my boat may have done this and had to offset the bow cleat to make room for the trolling motor mount.

Thanks

BCLII

Reaction score
Your going to need a 72" shaft on that large bow. I have a 205 and 60" is not enough. I've been waiting for a 72" shaft and minn Kota finally has one for their Terrova 112. It's a special order! That's the only model that currently offers a 72". I've talked to the motor guide reps about their new Xi 5, but that will only come with a 60" shaft. One could buy a minnkota PD V2 motor and add a longer shaft to them. Bowfishing extreme sells a 96" and 68" threaded minnkota shaft and wire kit. One then could add the I-pilot and/or I link to the PD V2. This was the route I was going to go but like the features of the Terrova better than the PD V2 model. Since I currently run the Lowrance Touch units on my Grady 205, the new motor guide Xi 5 looks like the unit for me! My Grady is the first boat I've owned without a bow mount trolling motor, but knew that going in. Love it in big water!
Good luck.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks. Was afraid of that. Thought I might get away with the 60 inch since most of my fishing is done on a lake at a time when it's pretty calm with little chop. Previous owner had mounter a trolling motor up there but it was gone before I got the boat. Not sure if he moved it to another boat or just took it off because it was too short.