Trolling Motor on a 300 Marlin

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've always anchored or drifted over spots. While we were between boats my wife and I fished off friends boats with GPS anchored trolling motors. Well we bought the Marlin and the wife wanted a trolling motor on it. So, we got a trolling motor. The Rhodan 36V 96" shaft trolling motor works great. 3-4 foot seas with some larger ones mixed in with 15 knot winds and the trolling motor held us on spot. I could move us around wrecks to find the fish and get us into spots where we wouldn't get hung up on the structure. It couldn't move us forward into the wind and waves but could hold us steady. Honestly it worked much better than I expected. Pictures are right after install, much cleaner now.image1(4).jpegimage0(12).jpeg

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I see the small bay boats out 20 miles in the Gulf with anchor lock, trolling motor is probably fine for that weight class and vessel mass, wondered how they work on a GW 300? Many times, current is ripping a few knots and even with 2 250's in reverse can be hard to hold over a wreck. I would like to learn about this.

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
How much did it cost if don't mind asking
Thanks

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I see the small bay boats out 20 miles in the Gulf with anchor lock, trolling motor is probably fine for that weight class and vessel mass, wondered how they work on a GW 300? Many times, current is ripping a few knots and even with 2 250's in reverse can be hard to hold over a wreck. I would like to learn about this.
We were in the 15 to 20 mile out range and it held my Marlin just fine. I'm sure I'll find the limit this summer and let you know. It was rough enough when we went out that we were one of the smallest boats we saw all day. Mostly 40' plus charter boats out that day.

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How much did it cost if don't mind asking
Thanks
Right around $8,000 for everything. Batteries, Battery charger, trolling motor, and mounting bracket. Legendary Marine here in Panama City Beach did the install.

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Right around $8,000 for everything. Batteries, Battery charger, trolling motor, and mounting bracket. Legendary Marine here in Panama City Beach did the install.
wow
thanks very much

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks clean Goose,

I just ordered the same one for my 282 Sailfish. Im considering going with (3) Battle Born 12v 100ah. What batteries did you go with and how many hours does it run on the average?

Thanks

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks clean Goose,

I just ordered the same one for my 282 Sailfish. Im considering going with (3) Battle Born 12v 100ah. What batteries did you go with and how many hours does it run on the average?

Thanks
Sorry I took so long. I have 3 Deka DP27 (12v 800amp) and a minn kota charger for them. I have only used it once so far and we got at least 4 hours out of it. Planning on going out Sunday and I'll try to keep a better timer on it.

Attachments

• Batteries.jpeg
    Batteries.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 89

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a really nice installation! How is the shaft fastened to the RAM mount on the cabin?

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's a really nice installation! How is the shaft fastened to the RAM mount on the cabin?
Honestly, I'm not sure if they put a backing plate in there or not. The interior panels make it pretty difficult to see in there without some serious disassembly. I don't see any defection in the fiberglass if I wiggle the head.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, but what I'm asking about is how the RAM mount is attached to the motor shaft. Using a RAM mount to stabilize the non-deployed motor is quite clever.

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, but what I'm asking about is how the RAM mount is attached to the motor shaft. Using a RAM mount to stabilize the non-deployed motor is quite clever.
It has a collar that attached to the shaft. The collar has a ball that fits into the RAM mount.

Attachments

• IMG_9059.jpg
    IMG_9059.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 36

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks! That looks like one of their handlebar mounts. They make so many different mounts and adaptors it's hard to find that particular one. But I think that anyone would work.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very nice install! So basically, the mount is a flat piece of aluminum to fit, through bolted. Then you can just extend out past the rail and then drop down into the water. No need to modify the rail right?

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Very nice install! So basically, the mount is a flat piece of aluminum to fit, through bolted. Then you can just extend out past the rail and then drop down into the water. No need to modify the rail right?
Yes. I do want to modify the rail just to make it easier but I can deploy and retrieve it solo. It did take a few times of doing it to get the hang of it though.

SeaHorse

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey,
I'm right down the street in Fort Walton Beach. I was considering the GPS spot lock but I thought it was going to be closer to $3-4k. For now, I have an anchor ball set-up.

Goose

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey,
I'm right down the street in Fort Walton Beach. I was considering the GPS spot lock but I thought it was going to be closer to $3-4k. For now, I have an anchor ball set-up.
Right now the 96’ trolling motor alone is $4k. I can find the receipt and get a complete breakdown of the parts if you want from Legendary here in PCB. Three batteries and a Minn Kota battery charger and wiring. It blocks the Nav lights so they deleted the factory ones on the bow and installed LED’s on the bow rub rail too.

Andrewells134

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My guy says that I would have to relocate the nav lights in the front of my Sailfish, did this unit interfere with your nav lights I want to get Minn Koto Riptide Terrova 112 lb with the I pilot and 87" shaft, so am sending him these pics he was concerned about the unit folding down because of the bow rails.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Looks like the mounting bracket is where the nav light would normally be located. So from the picture it looks like it was relocated or removed.

Andrewells134

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just picked up my boat from having the Minn kota Riptide Terrrova 112 hp 87" shaft today the guy did a great job with the install relative the to the bow rail and extra support to support the weight. Now I have to decide on the batteries and charging unit for my sailfish. It looks great people are telling me that
lithium ion batteries will void warranties on my twin Yamahas? That's scary, so that is where I am on my Grady White I upload pics soon. I am in the Houston area of the Gulf of Mexico.