Trolling Motor on GW 235?

quantase

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new Grady White owner. I was wondering if anyone has placed a trolling motor on a freedom 235. If so, what trolling motor do you have? What is the placement? What length shaft? I'm fitted with Garmin equipment, so I was looking at the Garmin Force, but the longest shaft is a 57". Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not my boat, just something I found on the interwebs but should give you a basic idea as to what you can do. A call to your local GW dealer probably wouldn't hurt either.

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks Mustang for the video! This is helpful in seeing what it looks like and where they placed it. The ™ doesn't really take much room on the bow when it is stored, so you can still utilize that space. The boat is well taken care of and very clean too! The minn Kota TM seems to have a longer shaft than 57" that the longest Garmin Force has available currently. I wonder how well the Minn Kota locks the GW235 in place? I do like the pivot bracket for it as well.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Thanks Mustang for the video! This is helpful in seeing what it looks like and where they placed it. The ™ doesn't really take much room on the bow when it is stored, so you can still utilize that space. The boat is well taken care of and very clean too! The minn Kota TM seems to have a longer shaft than 57" that the longest Garmin Force has available currently. I wonder how well the Minn Kota locks the GW235 in place? I do like the pivot bracket for it as well.
Take a look at the Rhodan's as well. I have a few charter captains I know that love them on the large rigs the run.

quantase

Reaction score
The Rhodans seem like a trusted brand as well, with definitely an option of a long enough shaft. I’ll give this some thought. The only concern is how smoothly will it work with Garmin instruments. Wish the Garmin Force came in longer shaft options. Thanks!

JLK225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have the Rhodan 87" on my 225 Tournament. Works great. When stowed the shaft blocks access to the bow anchor hatch but so what, don't need to anchor anymore anyway!

I don't think any of the big saltwater motors interface with Garmins or any other brand unit that I know of

Reactions: SCBuckeye

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a 2021 Fisherman 236, so basically the same hull as yours. I wouldn't mind having a trolling motor on my boat, especially for the spot-locking capability.

I actually called GW and asked if it would fit on the port swim platform. They said yes and sent me a few photos of the hull during assembly showing where you strap the mount to. They said the hardest part would be determining where to place the batteries.

No way i'd try to set my anchor on a ship wreck when fishing offshore. Spot locking is a game changer offshore, and even inshore as well.

quantase

Reaction score
Hello Rocketry, thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing the photos? Yes, the battery would be a tight fit. Did they give you any ideas how they would place the batteries?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The Rhodans seem like a trusted brand as well, with definitely an option of a long enough shaft. I’ll give this some thought. The only concern is how smoothly will it work with Garmin instruments. Wish the Garmin Force came in longer shaft options. Thanks!
My buddies last Charter rig was a 26 Hybrid Yellowfin with a Rhodan and all Garmin. I personally wouldn't want the Garmin troll motor yet - Look around at the guys using there boat to put food on the table. It's always a Rhodan/Minn Kota.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I haven’t found any need to network the TM with the MFD. what are you using it for? With gps and and a remote you can move it around or hit auto lock. Use the MFD for fish finder or chart.
If you are bottom fishing. Drive over the spot. Hit auto. Fish.

Wicky

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Hello all. I am a new Grady White owner. I was wondering if anyone has placed a trolling motor on a freedom 235. If so, what trolling motor do you have? What is the placement? What length shaft? I'm fitted with Garmin equipment, so I was looking at the Garmin Force, but the longest shaft is a 57". Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I have a 2022 Freedom 235. Lake Superior boat. I have a bow mount minn kota Ulterra (auto deploy is nice), 72 inch shaft, 36v, batteries and on board charger go in storage in front of helm counsel. Spot lock is awesome. Paddle board in to see caves and control boat with remote. Also use it to troll and steer with the remote for lake trout to walleye.

quantase

Reaction score
Wicky, did you use one 36V lithium battery (if so, which one?) or #3 - 12V batteries in the seat storage in front of the helm console? Did you place a quick release puck and/or motor plug receptacle? Do you mind sharing a photo of your setup? What made you decide on the Minn Kota vs Rhodan? Thanks.

Wicky

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Wicky, did you use one 36V lithium battery (if so, which one?) or #3 - 12V batteries in the seat storage in front of the helm console? Did you place a quick release puck and/or motor plug receptacle? Do you mind sharing a photo of your setup? What made you decide on the Minn Kota vs Rhodan? Thanks.
I am in freshwater and Minn Akita’s are everywhere so easier to service if needed, plus I like the auto deploy. I have 3 12v. The gps puck is mounted in fronted of helm outside windshield. Plug is by bow speaker. Can try to get pictures when on boat next. My dealer installed everything.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have the Rhodan 87" on my 225 Tournament. Works great. When stowed the shaft blocks access to the bow anchor hatch but so what, don't need to anchor anymore anyway!

I don't think any of the big saltwater motors interface with Garmins or any other brand unit that I know of
This is how mine is set up. On my 208. If I truely need anchor in an emergency. TM goes in first and then anchor

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a 2022 Freedom 235. Lake Superior boat. I have a bow mount minn kota Ulterra (auto deploy is nice), 72 inch shaft, 36v, batteries and on board charger go in storage in front of helm counsel. Spot lock is awesome. Paddle board in to see caves and control boat with remote. Also use it to troll and steer with the remote for lake trout to walleye.
Wicky,

What trolling motor did you purchase for your system? I called Grady and they said I could use the mount for the 251 CE, but my dealer wants $1800 for it. That's ridiculous. I have a 236 Fisherman, so same bow setup as your 235 Freedom.

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
May be apples to oranges… but for my 307 there was no factory mount. My install shop had a 1/2-5/8 thick AL plate cut and powder coated. The plate was fixed to the deck. The TM mounting block bolted to the plate. This gave it an overhand that was needed and place to mount the block. I think he charged me $500ish for that.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Further complicating the picture is another GreatGrady user on the East Coast was quoted $1400 for the exact same mount I was quoted $1800 in Houston...