Trolling plates

Leigh

Reaction score
I'm going to do a little trolling this year and would rather avoid putting a kicker on my Tournament 19 with a 2 stroke 155hp commercial Evinrude. Would like some pro/con comments on using a trolling plate.

Workdog

Reaction score
Leigh said:
I'm going to do a little trolling this year and would rather avoid putting a kicker on my Tournament 19 with a 2 stroke 155hp commercial Evinrude. Would like some pro/con comments on using a trolling plate.
Skip the trolling plate, especially for saltwater (the screw holes will corrode in the anticav plate). I would recommend instead some trolling bags which you can purchase from the following site: http://www.amishoutfitters.com/catalog2.htm
You typically use two bags, one per side, tied off to the midship cleats. Call the number on the site and Frank can set you up with the correct size bags for your boat. The bags you will use are the Beefy Bags. They will hold up to the strain of trolling.

SCAdventure

Reaction score
I was under the impression trolling with a 2-stroke was not a good idea. Am I misinformed? The Grady I just bought (1995 208 Adventure with Yamaha 225 2 stroke) has a 9.9 hp 4-stroke kicker.

Workdog

Reaction score
SCAdventure said:
I was under the impression trolling with a 2-stroke was not a good idea. Am I misinformed? The Grady I just bought (1995 208 Adventure with Yamaha 225 2 stroke) has a 9.9 hp 4-stroke kicker.
I've got 100s of trolling hours on my 150s. Just ensure you decarbon every 50-100 hours.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Someone told me I could use my trim tabs to help control trolling speed,
by putting them all the way down. Not if this is true as I hsve not put them on yet. We tried the bags last year worked out ok but, was a bit of work, had to get them in when we hooked up because the fish would sometime goto one side and we would end up getting tangled up with the bags. Not fun with 2 people.

Workdog

Reaction score
sfc2113 said:
Someone told me I could use my trim tabs to help control trolling speed,
by putting them all the way down. Not if this is true as I hsve not put them on yet. We tried the bags last year worked out ok but, was a bit of work, had to get them in when we hooked up because the fish would sometime goto one side and we would end up getting tangled up with the bags. Not fun with 2 people.
My trim tabs all the way down, and motor up as far as I care to raise it (while running) only accounts for about 3/10s of a knot reduction in speed. If you put a rope on the back of the bags, tied off to the rear cleats, you can pull the bags up with little effort. The rope back there also keeps the bags from moving out from or under the boat.

My main issue with the trolling plate is you WILL forget that it is down, and when you take off will bend the hell out of it.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yea, thats a good idea with the rear ropes, i'll try that next year. And , you right those trolling plates area dissaster waiting to happen.

SCAdventure

Reaction score
Workdog said:
SCAdventure said:
I've got 100s of trolling hours on my 150s. Just ensure you decarbon every 50-100 hours.

How do you decarbon the engine? And are you talking about 50-100 trolling hours or total hours?

Thanks

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
do a google search on "decarb outboard engine".

Most use shock treatment , 1 can seafoam in a small 1 gal can with about 3/4 gal of high octane gas ( add oil to gas if not pumped in by vro or something), takes about 45 min to get a good cleaning. Run 15min at troll speed 1100-1300rpm shut down, wait 15min and do it again till the whole thing is gone. There are lots of methods out there. works on all engines, even 4 strokes but I dont think they need it as often as 2 stroke.

Don't do this in your driveway. Or in your slip at the marina with boats next to you. Best to do it out on the water in trolling speed. It will also clean you carbs, injectors and spark plugs.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can also use Yamaha Ring-Free to decarb your engine. There is a "shock" treatment if you haven't been using it and a maintenance treatment that is added to your fuel every time you fill up. I am a stickler for using it with my 2 stroke and have never had a carbon problem.

Workdog

Reaction score
sfc basically stated the "Dunk Decarb Technique." That is the one I use with 50-100 total hours (as soon after 50 hours as is feasible).

Leigh

Reaction score
Workdog,

Just got off the phone with Frank at Amishoutfitters. Based on his recomendation I ordered 2 22 inch Beefy Bags. Very nice and helpful gentleman. Thanks for your input

Workdog

Reaction score
Leigh said:
Workdog,

Just got off the phone with Frank at Amishoutfitters. Based on his recomendation I ordered 2 22 inch Beefy Bags. Very nice and helpful gentleman. Thanks for your input
Hope it all works out for you.

Workdog