Trolling speed question...

KS1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just wondering if anyone has experience reaching a slow trolling speed of 2-3mph with twin Yamaha F200XB four strokes? I'm repowering an Islander 268 this winter. (Obviously I will run one motor at a time, alternating motors to keep hours equal.) Will I need a trolling bag to slow down the boat to the desired speed or do you think it will go slow enough without? The motors are not fly-by-wire so I won't have the ability to change the rpm's digitally. If you think a bag is necessary, any input on the diameter you think I'll need? Thanks in advance!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You should be fine. I sailfish at those speed. The wind and current are going to be a bigger factor depending on your desired heading.

If its windy its impossible fo work into the wind one engine at a time. The boat will snap to either side. If its not too rough you can try to quarter one side or the other. Turn the boat around and fishing.downwind is much easier to do but eventually you have to turn around!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. I troll with both motors engaged or a single based on current and wind. I can get down close to 1mph in right conditions.

KS1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ok, thanks for the input. To clarify, I fish the Hudson in the spring for stripers which is when a slow troll works best. Then I haul the boat up to Lake Ontario for steelhead and salmon.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I talked to a Suzuki dealer about twin df200 4 cylinders for an Islander. He personally owns a 273 (same hull as the 268) with df200's. He said those speeds would be no issue with 1 engine. Fwiw, the df200 gives the best of both worlds. Low gearing that turns the prop more slowly at low speeds, and more revs on the top end for the same speed as a Yamaha. Gearing also provides better acceleration. Df200 ap's (fly by wire) would likely be less than mechanical Yamahas. If you are buying new...

KS1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I seriously considered the df200's, mainly to save $$$, but went with Yamaha's because the nearest Suzuki dealer is over an hour away...

Reactions: family affair

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I own a single engine boat so I can't answer except to say that I have been trolling stripers in the NY Bight/Breezy Point area for almost 50 years and wind and tide are huge factors in determining trolling RPMs. There have been days where it has been next to impossible to troll in one direction or the other.
Best of luck to you with your new rig!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Talking about trolling speed when dealing with wind and tide flow, just remember to forget your GPS SOG. Fish don't swim by speed over ground. They are dealing with water resistance same as your boat so if you want to be real precise with trolling speed you need to have a speed wheel hooked to your MFD or a stand-alone read-out.. The wind factor is one you have to deal with separately but still adjusting rpm to maintain water speed not SOG. For you guys with twin engines that consider dragging drogues or buckets to slow your troll on one large outboard, don't forget you have that second engine sitting there doing nothing. Crank it up and kick it in reverse. If it slows you too much at dead idle, bump up the rpms on the go-ahead engine. It may take you a bit to get used to it because it will cause your boat to "crab" a bit which doesn't bother a thing.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I have T8 kicker on my 208, it works great at most speeds for salmon trolling, My speed is adjusted by the lure action and the angle of the down rigger line, changing as we troll with or against the tide. Like the idea Halfhitch stated with putting one outboard in reverse to slow down boats with dual outboards.

G

gradydaniele

I troll at about 3-5 mph for blues and strippers on the sound depending on the wind and current. I’ve been told strippers like the slower speeds