Trolling spread

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering what you folks use/prefer in your spreads? What types of rod/reel combos? I am on a budget and have been buying some used equipment when I see good prices. Currently I have 3 Penn 30's single speeds(two on full roller tuna sticks, one on a Penn mariner), 1 Penn 50 two speed (on a Penn standup tuna stick Roller tip), 2 Diawa Sealine tournament 30's single speed (on matching IGFA roller rods), and one Penn senator 113H on a penn slammer rod. I am looking for two Penn 114H reels on penn senator rods.

My spread would look like this:
center rigger: Penn 50
outriggers: one each Penn 30 or Diawa 30
Flatlines: two Penn 114H
Does this sound like a good setup? I am relatively new to offshore fishing on this boat but have been fishing offshore on my buddy's 26 Sea Hunt for a couple of years. I am trying to get geared up for next year.

Any comments or criticism is welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Probably depends on what you are targeting. I fish off OCMD and target anything from bluefin, yft, wahoo, mahi, marlin, shark, etc. We fish 7-8 rods (all shamanos). I like the 50s on the long diggers and way way back and short diggers. Flat lines we use 30s. We also deploy a down rigger using a 50. We tend to have a mix unless we are strictly targeting white marlin or bluefins. I will be picking up 1 80 soon to use for way back or targeting blue marking or large bluefins. Also spread depends on size boat.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the fish we get in our area (I'm out of Manasquan) we don't need anything more than a 50. In the late Fall there are occasional big bluefins inshore but it's not a trip you plan for. I have 4 Penn 30's, 1 Okuma 30, and a Diawa 600H, with braid they hold plenty of line. Most of the sticks are Penns with other fill-ins (imports), I'm working on getting quality poles (either build or buy). I don't have outriggers so 5 lines is pushing it for me: 2 bars on out-rodders, 2 chains/feathers off the transom or on downriggers, and a bar wwwb down the center.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Grog said:
For the fish we get in our area (I'm out of Manasquan) we don't need anything more than a 50. In the late Fall there are occasional big bluefins inshore but it's not a trip you plan for. I have 4 Penn 30's, 1 Okuma 30, and a Diawa 600H, with braid they hold plenty of line. Most of the sticks are Penns with other fill-ins (imports), I'm working on getting quality poles (either build or buy). I don't have outriggers so 5 lines is pushing it for me: 2 bars on out-rodders, 2 chains/feathers off the transom or on downriggers, and a bar wwwb down the center.

What model is your boat? I have Top Guns so I will put two 30s on the riggers and the 50 as you say way back. I can use either the 30s or senators for the flat lines depending on reports and what is showing up on the sounder.

Thanks for the feedback!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a '91 Sailfish. When the time comes I'll probably get one of the hard top mounted outriggers.

Finatic

Reaction score
Depending on what you are fishing for you should be able to handle 90% of the fish that you may encounter in the mid-Atlantic area. I used to use Penn 114s exclusively and they handled everything from mahi to tuna. We even fought a 200-250lb bluefin for over 2.5 hours on a 114hlw before we lost the fish. The fish was not lost due to reel failure either, we had it at the boat and the fish made one last run and nicked the line against the trim tab. I've been switching over to 50s just because but I think a 30 can handle most fish if the reel is in the hands of a decent angler. Also, you may want to consider adding short riggers to you spread, this will allow you to add 2 more lines. My thoughts are, if I'm going to make the run offshore I want to have as many lines in the spread to increase my chances of a hook up. Hope this helps. Also, I noticed you mentionned that you looking for a couple of 114s, I have 1 114h, a 114hlw, and 2 older Penn International 30s that I looking to sell. If you're interested, let me know. Good luck.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
Thankss for the tip. If the 114s are the metal spools and on rods I may be interested. I have plenty of 30s but would think they 'd sell quick if you post them here or on the hull truth or Craigslist.

Grog, maybe I'll see you out there next season. (boat name: Propwash)

Thanks for the offer.

Ed