Trolling with twins

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Ok for you guys with twins help me settle a discussion :wink: with a fishing buddy. Do you guys troll with both motors running or just use one? I'm not talking marlin/wahoo speed just slow trolling for macks. or what not. My argument is it is cheaper (fuel) to run one motor than both. He says run both for better boat control. So what do ya do???

jehines3

Reaction score
Single. You'd be crazy to log the hours on two motors. My Marlin with a 225 running trolls at 3knts just above idle (1200 rpm). I can even turn on the AP and let it drive and it keeps a fine course. jh

gw204

Reaction score
Depends on the seas. If it's nice and calm, I'll troll on one. But if things are a bit confused, I run both for added control. That's slow trolling (about 2.5 kts) for striped bass.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As with Brian one only, except -

When it wips up out here the boat is too unstable to stay on one engine, and needs constant wheel work.

The second engine along with counter rotation now in force, locks down the stern to stabilize the boat.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
same here... one motor on nice days. Otherwise I can't get down to where I want to be for stripers when dragging tube & worm... 1.5 - 2mph.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
once i start my engines i wont turn them off unless i tie up somewhere. its a paranoid mariner thing. i keep one clutch and the other in nuetral just in case.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trolling twins has always been a big debate. Most hardcore fishermen troll both because they believe that the vibrations attract fish. None four strokes run differnt vibrations which many fish love. If it is with four strokes, you should troll both out of sync to get a good vibration. I have killed tuna while guys with similar sized boats and same engines caught none trolling similar spreads. Once they trolled out of sync like I told them to over the radio they hit fish as well. Also, as for fuel burn, running one engine vs. two will not be all that different. To get the boat trolling at the same speed, that single is doing a bit more work and probably ran at a higher rpm then you would run the twins at the same time. You may think you are putting more wear on the engines by running both, but more then likely, running that single at that higher rpm for a long time is doing just as much if not more damage, over time it will equal itself, if not be worse. Every fishermen has their own methods that they are comfy with and in the end each will all work. More then likely, running both engines vs just one engine will be dictated by sea conditions, but unless fuel burn is significantly greater on your boat by running twins, I do not see a benefit to running just one engine.

freddy063

Reaction score
I like useing both motors, the autohelm works better with both motors. Next I feel that trolling with both make it easyer on the motors. as far as if it bring in the fish, I've caught more fish on the hook than trolling. but thats just my thoughts, do what works for you. :wink:

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Let me clear up my post... if I have both motors in gear with idle throttle and my speed is still too fast then I drop one motor into neutral or turn it off all together. Usually any time I need to add throttle I am using both motors.

gradyfish22... thanks for the "out of sync" tip. I will give that a try this summer. Can you actually hear the difference? Is there a speed that you find most effective for tuna when running out of sync?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do as Joe does when slow trolling live bait - leave one in neutral and the other just in gear. It really takes both at that low speed to develop enough amperage for the electronics. If there is a cross wind pushing on the canvas I will use the opposite engine which REALLY helps the AP at idle speed. With wind < 10 kts or running downsea, either engine is fine.

When trolling bluewater (5-8 kts) I use both engines in gear. A single engine would need to rev well over the 1200-1400 RPMs and the total fuel burn would be similar. The AP would also work like crazy to keep course with that much thrust to one side. Note the engines are 6 inches further apart from the 2004 Marlin forward. My burn even at bluewater speeds is around 3-4g/h max.

Just my two cents...YMMV

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to outboards but it definitely applies for inboards so I figured I'd throw this out there: Running on one motor while the other motor is off can seriously damage the transmission of the off motor. With the boat moving forward the prop spins and turns the transmission without any oil pressure to protect it. Trolling on one motor is fine but both motors should always be running.

...Again, I'm not sure if this applies to outboard lower units, just figured I'd put in my two cents and someone with a little more knowledge on running outboards could fill in...

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I agree withGradyfish22. Thats exactly what we do when we are on twin outboard boats. A few years ago I tuna fished my single engine Gulfstream right next to a Marlin in Poormans canyon. We were on the fish and he was killing them, while were were just picking them off. He was even using our tackle! He passed that tip on to us that day.

Having run the new Canyon Draggin' (Sailfish with t-225's) only a few times in the Bay this year, I can defiantly say that there is a MAJOR difference in the vibrations, and hum. I can tell already its going to make a big difference.

Gary M

Reaction score
I'm normally dragging baits for dolphin so that's about 6 knots. Both engines will give me that at around 13-1400 rpm.

Should I be running one 100-200 rpm off the other?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary M, yes it can help but it does not help as much with the 2 stroke engines. With four strokes it is a more prevelent differnce in the sound. It has to do with the frequency given off by the four strokes. In sync they provide a sound that is more pleasing to a human ear, our of sync they will sound louder. The engines are not really louder, but the mixture of frequencies is not pleasing to humans. For some reason, fish are attracted to off beat frequencies. It can never hurt to try them out of sync and see if you notice a differnce. I like to troll roughly 200-500rpm out of sync depending on sea conditions and speed I plan to troll at. I always alter which engine is at a higher rpm after an hour or so, figure I should try and even the loading out on the engines so that I do not wear one quicker then the other. I had a day trolling football bluefins where we outfished nearby boats 3 to 1. Talking to a few of those boats on the way in, I found out they were trolling in sync, we were out of sync. I also happen to be trolling some of Ken Lahr's lures but the fish this day ate anything green you put in the water.