trolling with yamie 150hp

bighook

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have twin 150's on my 232.I fish about 70 days during the summer.I am thinking about putting a kicker on my boat for trolling to cut down the hours on my main power.But I was wondering how the 150's would do to troll? I heard that they troll so low that they run only on 2 cylinders? Is this true??

richie rich

Reaction score
which year boat and Yammi 150's? you can use just one of the two motors and troll just fine if its an older 2S.....

bighook

Reaction score
Oh...I am not using both to troll.The boat is an 08 brand new.Not even in the water yet.Just wondering if I should troll with 1 engine or install a kicker for all my trolling.
Most likely the way to go is have a kicker on the boat :D

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a single 150 and it trolled fine. Not sure why the need for a kicker when you got twins? Are you up north doing those 2 mph trolls? It might explain your question better. Most of my trollung is around 6 to 10 for warmer water species...

Double Eagle

Reaction score
kicker

I have a kicker on with a single 225. If I had twins I wouldn't even think of a kicker. Alternate running one each time out. You will be much happier running that 150 than you will be with a kicker. Also if you need to go slower than you are you can always use drift socks on one or both sides. I would stay away from a kicker having twins!!!!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: kicker

Double Eagle said:
I have a kicker on with a single 225. If I had twins I wouldn't even think of a kicker. Alternate running one each time out. You will be much happier running that 150 than you will be with a kicker. Also if you need to go slower than you are you can always use drift socks on one or both sides. I would stay away from a kicker having twins!!!!

If you alternate your engines while trolling you only put half the trolling hours on them.

Workdog

Reaction score
Re: kicker

Double Eagle said:
Don't use drift socks, trolling you will blow them out very quickly. I'd recommend giving Frank Kittrick a call at the following site and ask about a set of Beefy Bags. They are made specifically for trolling. My boat will get down to 2.0 on a single 150, but I want to start fishing early and late in the year on Lake Erie, so I need to get it down to as low as .8 mph. I'm planning on getting the 36" bags. You tie them off to the midship cleats, one per side. http://www.amishoutfitters.com/catalog2.htm

bighook

Reaction score
Well thanks guys for all your inputs on trolling.I am on the northwest coast in BC Canada.I can troll for hours each day(about 70-80 days) having a kicker would be good to cut the hours down on my motors.

So if I troll for,lets say 8 hrs a day.For 80 days,thats 640 hrs.Divide it by 2 and thats 320 hrs on each engine,by rotating engine each day.You also have to consider running time to and from the fishing spots.Lets say 3hrs per day for that 3 x 80 =240hrs.

So now I have a total 240hrs (run time) + 640hrs (troll time) = 880hrs on my engines in 1 season of fishing.This would be 440hrs on each engine.

Now I did go high on the hours.Some days are shorter then others.Putting a kicker on would save hours,maintenace...etc.

I guess I could run half the season and see where my hours are? How many hours can you put on these 150's before you start seeing some problems?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since you are fishing for salmon, you won't be happy using one of your F150s for trolling. You will need to get your speed down to less than 2.0 mph for effective trolling unless you are using lures. Since you'll be trolling with the current, the best way to do that is with a kicker. The only other way to get down to that slow of a speed is to use a Beefy Bag or a else drag a 5 gallon bucket.

The second reason to get a kicker is that you'll find that most big 4-strokes "make oil" when used for trolling for long periods of time. The engine will not put out enough heat to fully warm up during prolonged trolling, particularly in the cold water conditions under which you will be fishing. Raw fuel will wash down past the rings and dilute the crankcase oil. This is even a problem in Florida where folks start out with the oil a half quart down and change the oil when it reaches the full mark. Fuel dilution can result in premature engine wear. Given the number of hours that you will put on them when trolling, it doesn't make much sense to wear out your big engines.

While I live in Florida these days, I still keep a boat on the West Coast and fish out of BC quite a bit. Over 12 years I have logged only about 600 hr on my main engine and over 5000 hr on my 8 hp kicker. Changing 0.7 quarts of oil on the kicker a couple of times a season (it makes oil also) is no big deal compared to servicing the main engine.

bighook

Reaction score
DOC,
Thanks for your thought on the kicker.You are so right about the wear & tare on the main power.I will go with the kicker,as it will save my main engines and reduce the hrs big time.You are so right about the speeds for trolling for salmon.

I was not sure if I could get the 150's to go slow enough.I am sure they would for coho.Also I do run cut-plug all season for springs and mostly anchovies on teaser heads for coho in Aug.

I will order my 9.9 HT Yamie on monday and have it installed in May.It is the better way to go.

THANKS for your help...Doc

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You made the best choice. The T-8, which has been replace by the HT-9.9, is the hands down best kicker available.

I have a Honda, which is a great kicker. But I've fished with many folks with the T-8 and it is the better engine. The low pitch prop combined with the low gear ratio results in an engine that will troll very slow yet has enough torque to push a large boat up to hull speed under a variety of condition.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Very interesting issue about the engine oil diluting while extensive trolling. I have 2 stroke engines and after getting to the fishing grounds, I'll troll on 1 and swap to the other every hour or so. This of course cuts down on total running hours and DING DING DING "FISHING SECRET", nearly every time I make the switch, soon after a rod will go off. I know sounds crazy but it happens. Now that's top secret so don't pass it around. Enjoy that new boat and good fishing.

Brad1

Reaction score
So your talking about four stroke 150s?

If so, I would expect them to troll beautifully. My 226 had an F225 on it and I slow trolled for Walleye on Lake Erie with it. It was one smooth, quiet engine. To slow down I used "buggy bags" from amish outfitters. They are very high quality bags.

I wouldn't hesitate to troll with a four stroke. Just run some ring free or Seafoam through it periodically.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I have the HT Yamaha 9.9 kicker and love it. It trolls very well.

sluggoe

Reaction score
i've got twin yami F225 4-strokes:

i am going to be doing some trolling at 2mph or less this season (tube and worming) and does anybody know if i can achieve 2mph or less with using just 1 engine with the 2nd engine tilted up;

btw, the yami manual says that if you use only one motor, then you must tilt up the 2nd motor....i imagine that this is the way to go....

--slugg.

WestCoast282

Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia,Canada
I have twin 2007 Yamaha 150's on my 26ft and fish the West Coast of Vancouver Island about 80 plus days a year. The 150's work great and speed is never an issue when trolling. In the big swells the motor work well and push the boat along great. The problem I have is the amount of hours I have put on these engines trolling, the maintenance costs as well as the value of the engines with higher hours. I would strongly suggest putting on a kicker and saving the big engines.
I have just purchased a 282 Sailfish with twin 225 Yamaha 4 strokes and will be installing a Yamaha high trust kicker right away. This will keep the hours down on the big engines.

hangman1176

Reaction score
Had twin 200's (yamaha's) on a sailfish, never had a problem trolling down. I used a trolling bag from cabela's if the lake was rolling. 1000 hrs on each engine, never touched a thing other than fluids and filter.

I know several people with twins that troll all day long here on the great lakes. I guess I would buy a boat with a single with a kicker for a set up instead of twins and a kick. Just my opinion.