Trollmaster Pro

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Installed a new TrollMaster Pro on my helm to run my Honda 9.9 High Thrust kicker motor.

It controls the engine throttle, so I can set it to the trolling speed I want and focus on driving the boat, and has a few cool features that make life easier upfront. Wiring it into the motor as stealthy as possible took some time, and I was happy that the wiring is invisible.

This unit draws low power from the batteries even when turned off, so I added a disconnect in the wiring harness at the helm so I can remove it during cold months, and take the head unit home with me avoiding winter moisture too.

I realize the vast majority of my fellow Grady owners don't use a kicker, but I wanted to post this for the few of us that do.20190708_184216 - Copy (2).jpg20190708_184216.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great idea if you are using a trolling motor....

Reactions: leeccoll

Willy-C

Reaction score
I’ve had one for my merc 8hp kicker for a few years. They work great for sweetwater trolling. I added a quick-connect on the control wires at the motor so when I go offshore I can pull off the kicker to lighten up the transom.
Another thing I added was a hour meter under the kicker cowl, it runs off spark plug inductive electricity.
When I bought the Trollmaster I looked into the Itroll but they were a brand new company and I would’ve had to preorder one direct, didn’t want to be a test subject. In hindsight I kinda like the Itroll setup with the hunt mode.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve had one for my merc 8hp kicker for a few years. They work great for sweetwater trolling. I added a quick-connect on the control wires at the motor so when I go offshore I can pull off the kicker to lighten up the transom.
Another thing I added was a hour meter under the kicker cowl, it runs off spark plug inductive electricity.
When I bought the Trollmaster I looked into the Itroll but they were a brand new company and I would’ve had to preorder one direct, didn’t want to be a test subject. In hindsight I kinda like the Itroll setup with the hunt mode.

Plus one on the iTroll. I also stayed away as it wasn't sold through big box stores. I'm currently on my second throttle servo, I use the kicker 90% of the time on the water.

That was ingenious adding an hour meter on your kicker. I still have 1 year left on my kickers warranty, I think they can run forever if well maintained.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Added the troll master to my Yamaha T9.9 with the EZ-Steer makes trolling for salmon a joy. Excuse the mess, taken during electrical/electronics install & cleanup.
BBB5D91F-BB77-4EA4-AA1C-DD2EB483FAB3.jpeg4D80DB87-4746-4B10-8614-006891112DA1.jpeg

Reactions: Willy-C

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Used to fish out of Half Moon Bay for salmon and lingcod, and in the SF Bay depending on the season. It's nice to have a second motor to get back in should something happen out there.

Good set up.

Willy-C

Reaction score
Lite Tackle, I agree with the Ez-Steer, works great.
A pain sometimes to hang over the stern to take it off but worth the effort.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Used just once since new motor install, but was able to leave on running with either motor up or down. Was unsure whether or not I wanted to strap the mount to the new Yamaha (didn’t want to scratch my baby), but the mount for the 4.2L was well designed and padded in the right spots.

The Trollmaster kicker throttle connection at motor was kinda fubar. I had to play with the linkage (bent and then rebent again) to get it right. I also replaced the servo with a waterproof unit and will keep the original as a spare. I understand the servo is the weak link but easy to swap.
68B6C481-3E86-4E5A-91EC-D12CB6148858.png

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Marinetech Panther 55-2700 Trolling Motor Tie Bar Kit is what I used to connect the two motors. There's a 1/2" stainless rod that connects the 2 engines and works with the existing SeaStar HC5445 cylinder on my 228G.

I REALLY wanted the pricey Teleflex SeaStar Kicker Cable Tie Bar, but unfortunately my Honda BF200 is incompatible as my kicker was installed on the starboard side.

I guess I shouldn't complain as I saved money, and I can leave it on while raising or lowering either engine as well.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice Install. I'm wiring my homemade Arduino based Trollmaster now into the Grady. Trying to decide where to put the control box at the help without drilling too many holes. On my last boat I wired the on/off switch to a extra accessory switch already in the boat. Looks like Grady left me 2 of those so will be attaching it to one.

This will be the 3rd year with the system. Used to work on my Honda 7.5hp.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice Install. I'm wiring my homemade Arduino based Trollmaster now into the Grady. Trying to decide where to put the control box at the help without drilling too many holes. On my last boat I wired the on/off switch to a extra accessory switch already in the boat. Looks like Grady left me 2 of those so will be attaching it to one.

This will be the 3rd year with the system. Used to work on my Honda 7.5hp.
Please share a pic with us when you finish your install.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have had iTroll on my kicker for a couple of years and works great. Great for slight adjustments in trolling speed and memory of last speed on a catch. Have Furuno AP on the f 200 tied to the kicker, so can set trolling speed and steering. My wife runs the helm and I have the tough job off setting and watching the lines. She leaves the helm to net, but seems much more relaxed with the AP and setting trolling speed change with a dial. Have not been out for awhile due to snarly weather here on Van Island but do hope to exercise the fishing gear for some winter springs over Christmas, Wishing you all a great Christmas with family friends and even some time on your yachts.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same 2 you trapper!!

A few of us were nervous about iTroll. Hindsight I would installed that instead.