Trouble with Garmin Fishfinder 160C

jdsmith

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this problem with a Garmin 160c? Shortly after reaching cruising speed the disply screen malfunctions. The only way to resolve the problem is to turn the unit off, stop the boat, and then turn the unit back on. When I return to cruising speed the same issue occurs. However, the unit works as intended when trolling or at very low speeds. Per the trouble shooting suggestions supplied with the owner's manual I have adjusted the transducer up and down 1/8 inch at a time but the same issue occurs. I haven't contacted Garmin yet. I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similiar issue. I use the boat in salt water, and am wondering if the unit is for fresh water use ony. Any suggestions?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The problem is with the base unit. It shouldn't lock up. Salt or fresh water has nothing to do with it.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
.. the disply screen malfunctions.

Define 'malfunctions' a little further ... :?

jdsmith

Reaction score
By malfunction I mean that, when at cruising speed, the display screen goes from a normal operational display to a series of vertical lines and overall screen distortion.

uncljohn

Reaction score
i had an issue where the screen would go part blank. It was an electrical issue w/ my battery connections. Also if your battery is getting low you'll get that problem.