True differnce between the seaV2 hull and pre 1992 hulls

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the true difference between the 2 hulls? I was in a 91 Dolphin in Buzzards Bay (Cape Cod ) Saturday. It was blowing 15-20 knots with 4-5ft chop and the 25 Dolphin took the chop with no problem and the boat rode very dry. Is there a big difference?

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pre sea vee2

As a former '91 Dolphin owner - yes there is, both in perception (think resale) and reality. The 91 should cost less than a 92 because of those facts.

Having said that, if its priced right, no major hull/motor issues and the layout suited my needs I would buy another.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I think they added a step in the bow to knock down spray and make it more steady at anchor. My 88 Grady is WET when you have a head or cross-wind. The waves run right up the bow and blow. A step will knock down that wave.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I went from a pre seav2 252 to a seav2 272 and noticed that I can use the boat much more comfortably in colder weather. I stay dryer. The boat also allows me more speed when hitting the waves head on

richie rich

Reaction score
I believe the SV2 hull was simply a change in the deadrise from a steady 20 degree, midship back, to a variable rate which would be more efficient during normal seas straight ahead...not sure about any changes from the chine area up the gunwale sides.....unless that specific area significantly changed, overspray may not be that noticeable as the variable deadrise will effectively spread the water once she's past your windshield as a planing hull is in contact with the water at higher speeds about 1/4 in from the bow and back unless you're bobbing up and down alot. As far as resale value of an 18 year old boat....don't worry about it.....just enjoy it and get whatever you can in the end if you sell.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with Ritchie on the resale value..Run the boat and have fun..

I took my 1st demo Grady ride in an Adventure 208;pre-Seav2. I subsequently bought a Seafarer 22,circa 1992, the 1st year the SeaV2's were introduced.

The difference?? Barely noticeable. I attribute what little difference there was to the fact that the Seafarer rode better because of it's increased size.

A grain of salt should be taken here, it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but not that big a deal between the two.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are happy with the ride , it doesn't matter - and you may save a bit.
As a buyer, you can use that for a negotiating chip, if so inclined.

There are ride complaints with SeaV2 models too.

Seahunter

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
I took my 1st demo Grady ride in an Adventure 208;pre-Seav2. I subsequently bought a Seafarer 22,circa 1992, the 1st year the SeaV2's were introduced.
The SeaV2 hull was introduced while that model was still the Overnighter. If you had a demo on an Adventure it was a SeaV2 hull.

FYI: Ran a pre-SeaV for 6 years then went over to a Seav2 hull 3 years ago. There is a big difference in hull design. Put the two hulls side by side the difference is very obvious. There is a very big difference in ride quality as well.

If the boat is a good deal and you like the ride quality then go for it. Personally I will not ever go back to a pre seav2 hull.

LarryO

Reaction score
You want the Sea V if it's a 20 footer . Larry ( '89 overnighter ) .

busterblue

Reaction score
boatz said:
Can anyone give me the true difference between the 2 hulls? I was in a 91 Dolphin in Buzzards Bay (Cape Cod ) Saturday. It was blowing 15-20 knots with 4-5ft chop and the 25 Dolphin took the chop with no problem and the boat rode very dry. Is there a big difference?

I love how we in our area consider 4-5's "chop". I have an 89 252g and our maden voyage was in 4-5's on Buzzards Bay with mom (grammy) aboard. It was wet but we were never concerned about its seaworthiness.

LarryO

Reaction score
Chop means wave interval time , plenty of time in the deep ,not so in the shallows . Larry

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seahunter..
If I did ride in a SeaV2 20-footer then that would explain the negligable difference between the ride of the two hulls.
It may be that I have NOT ridden in a pre-SeaV2 hull.
Thanks for the update..

busterblue

Reaction score
LarryO said:
Chop means wave interval time , plenty of time in the deep ,not so in the shallows . Larry

I agree that the term chop relates to the time between wave peaks which to some extent is determined by depth but also by current and wind. I don't udnerstand how wave the same interval in deeper water is any differnet/ nore comfortable than it is in shallower water.

That said, when boatz wrote "4-5 ft chop, not 4-5 second chop. I understood him/her to be characterizing the seas as "choppy" as opposed "bad", "big", "nasty" or "rough". I was simply saying that 4-5 ' chop in Buzzards bay is so regular that many respond to the question on "how was it out there?" on a day of 4-5's by saying "choppy".

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a '91 Sailfish, wind speed and direction effect the dryness more than anything. I've had tight 2's blow some spray in the cockpit and 4's just barely mist the windshield. One persons 1-2 and another's 1-2 varry, and choppiness is also a matter of opinion.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hmmm...percieved wave height...

If you're running a 20' boat in 5 foot seas at anything over a crawl you would be completely flying out of the water. Maybe the face of the wave looks like 4-5'?

20 knots on the ocean will make seas to put a 50' ocean trawler on it's ear, or spray over the top.

Maybe a 2-3' chop with wave faces that look 4-5', whitecaps on top. Definitely small craft warnings.