Trying to decide what path to take. Older Grady or New CC

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trying to decide what path to take, I can either buy and older boat and repair or re-power it like an Older Gradys 24 offshore or Explorer 24

or

The wife would let me buy a 23ft center console from a cheaper brand, but only if its new (50K). she is afraid if we go mid line used we will end up with a 25K-35K loan and a blown motor.. So thats my situation..

Any input would be great..

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Trying to decide what path to take. Older Grady or New C

Have you checked prices? I'm not sure what kind of new 23 foot cc you can buy for 50k. If you're buying new I would think that you would want good electronics, a big enough engine and all the other options that make you excited about a new boat. I could be wrong but I don't think that you can get all that for 50k, assuming its a decent brand. On the other hand if you go new on a low quality brand , don't expect the resale value of some of the better brands. Ultimately, it's your call, just wanted to give you some thoughts .

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Much appreciated. The boat I was quoting was a lower quality boat, and I know the resale would be crap. But I am worried about buying a $30-40K Grady that's 15 years old and will need a re power as soon as I get it..

Cmd176

Reaction score

I was in same "boat" as you. I searched for a year and a half and I finally pulled the trigger last fall when I bought a '06 257 Advance with twin 150's 4 stroke yamahas. The price was in the 40's. I feel I will not have to repower for at least 5 years and the hull will be good for however long I take care of it. It's safe and dependable and most of my friends who have upgraded their Grady's never have complained about the resale. I looked at lower end new CC's and none of them came in at that price even with a single. In addition, I found the fit and finish of a used Grady surpassed those new ones I looked at. That's not even considering how much better the Grady's ride is. I also looked at 23 Regulator's but when comparing option to option the Grady was much more family friendly for me. Good luck in your search but I don't think you can go wrong with a used Grady. I think there are plenty out there that have power plants with many reliable years on them to go.
Chris

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Here is a thought: If the wife is going on the boat with you the center console is out. She will want a head, and want to get out of the sun and rain.

suzukidave

Reaction score

you describe yourself as a new boater in the other thread. how much are you going to boat and where?

if you plan to boat a lot or to go offshore, a new motor makes sense

if you plan to dip your toe in the boating waters, i think you are better off with an older used 2 stroke motor.

all used motors out of warranty are a crapshoot. my personal belief is that if you are going used, then unless you use the boat enough to generate a large fuel bill, you are better off with an older 2 stroke. they are tough, simple and can be replaced completely for under $5k. older 4 strokes cost more to maintain and if they have problems they present you with very expensive choices.

you also generally pay almost nothing for an older 2 stroke when you buy a boat. thus it is a free motor that owes you nothing. if you don't like it or it is unreliable you can usually sell it for something. if you like it then you are miles ahead.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

For a piece of mind for a couple of hundred bucks that will be used to negotiate a price get a hull and power survey. A good tech can predict engine condition especially with the computerized diagnostics on modern two and four strokes. Find a surveyer who is knowlegable of Gradys and again he will tell you what problems are urgent or future repairs needed. Do a google search for the brand you are interested in and read the complaints. Some have some design flaws you cannot repair. Look at boats a few years old from the manufacturer you are specifying, stress cracks, delamination, cheap hardware. Look at the prices of used boats ( yea I know they vary greatly) and compare to the new price. Gradys do depreciate a lot in the first few years but if cared for will maintain values thereafter. If you are spending 30, 40 grand a survey is cheap, plus your insurance may requre it.
Did you go to a boat show and compare models?
Personally I got a whole lot more boat for my money by going used. I have read everything I could about repairing and maintenance because with a boat you either pay big or do it yourself when able.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score

Here is my story. I could not justify the expense of a new boat to the captain. Bought a older marlin with twin Ox66 250 s. One with 75 hrs on a new powerhead from yamaha other with 900 hrs. Ran it last year offshore. It did ok, just ok. Bought a OX66 fresh water with 150 hrs and sold the one with 900 hrs for a wash. I look at it like this, a older well built boat is better than a newer cheaper built boat.(will last longer to)
It came fully rigged with all electronics outriggers ect which is worth alot of cash that I did not have to spend and can upgrade as time goes on. It had been fished off shore every year and was maintained. Just be careful what you buy Good luck.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

barclayrl said:
Trying to decide what path to take, I can either buy and older boat and repair or re-power it like an Older Gradys 24 offshore or Explorer 24 or...

If you are thinking Offshore 24 or Explorer 24 it sounds like you like the walkaround style. I would think you could find a nice non-Grady walkround that if perhaps 5 years old with low engine hours for much less then your 50K budget.

I was in your shoes over 20 years ago. My wife and I had a Wellcraft V20 (great boat) and wanted to up size but we didn't know what to. We went to the boat show that winter and fell in love with the then new ~1993 Wellcraft Coastal 25 Walkaround. Then we looked until we found a 5-year old one for about half the cost of the new boat.

In my book, a 5-year-old boat is still practically new and in the colder climates, it could have less than 300 hours on the outboard. I wouldn't be afraid of a 5-year-old motor that has been checked by a mechanic (who does a compression check, etc.)

A five-year-old non-Grady hull will likely have no wood coring material which is a good thing. A 20 year old Grady may have issues with the wood coring in the transom, stringers, floors, etc. The transom in my Sailfish required rebuilding when it was only 12 years old.

So I suggest you take your wife to the boat show and find a new boat you both love - then search until you fine a ~5-year old one. There are plenty of brands to chose from. like Pursuit, ProLine, Trophy, Seaswirl, Wellcraft, Sailfish, Scout, Parker, Robalo to name a few.

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Thanks for all the responses.. I was pretty set on getting an older Grady.. But I will have to open my mind to think out of the Grady Box..

I will continue my search..

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

For your budget, a little hunting, patience, and research could net a heck of a nice low hour, reliable Grady even bigger than 24'. Casually looking over the past few years I've come across several I contemplated buying and flipping, but time didn't permit.
Over 4 years ago we picked up ours for $21k. Engine had less than 200 hours. The only significant work has been replacing fuel system components totaling about $500 with labor. Otherwise excellent shape. We did have to travel 1k miles, but still well worth it!
Don't give up so soon.

GulfSea

Reaction score

I like the 5 year old boat search idea but you really need to determine which style boat will best fit your needs. A CC and WA are so different that it tells me you haven't researched enough. I would continue reading until there is no question which one to pursue. My wife DID NOT like the CC's at all. But during my search just about everyone kept telling me a CC was the way to go and if I had gone in that direction, I would have sold and re-purchased by now, 4 1/2 year later. I even went through 2-engine itis' a couple years ago but as I searched, the boat I have kept coming up as the best fit so she's still here at the house getting better each year.

The thing with offshore boats is as you customize them over time they become more tailored to suit your needs. Buying the boat is just the 1st step. IMHO, that is why it's very important to buy right and once if possible.