Trying to fix my fuel sender, wiring or Guage

Newbie111

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've done my research on this and know how to see if me sender is broken or if my wiring /Guage is bad. How do I go about removing the gauge from the dash? Would like an idea before I lay on my back under the console to figure it out. Any tips tricks and pointers would be great. Thank you

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The sender is, by far, the most common culprit. You don't need to remove the gauge to check the sender.

But, to your question, on the backside of the gauge there is a nut that you remove that holds the securing bracket on. Either the dash panel is removable with screws or you have to get the backside via another method. I have no idea what your dash looks like, but it's one of those two things.

I would "assume" you know your dash and can easily see which way it needs to be done?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pics would help. Each manufacturer has a little different mounting config. I'd investigate on your back and determine what is required as well.

seasick

Reaction score
How did you determine that the gauge is bad?
As mentioned a pic would help but so will a description of the gauge like analog or digital, brand or at least motor type, description of any display data vs all blank. etc. Ohm and how many tanks.

Newbie111

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Going to do some investigating a little later today. I will post some pictures and see if I can figure somthing out.

Bilpep

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Disconnect the wires from the sending unit and use an ohm meter to see if your sending unit is working properly.

seasick

Reaction score
Disconnect the wires from the sending unit and use an ohm meter to see if your sending unit is working properly.
That woks if you can move the float or slide but if you can't you also can not be 100% sure that the sender is working

Newbie111

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just wanted to give an update. Found out it was the sender that went bad, so just a nice easy fix! Thanks for the help everybody

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Be warned, that on Triumph boats, at least, the sender bolt pattern is no symmetric, they only go in one way. Ask me how I know (I had a bilge full of gasoline the one time I got my wife in the boat).

seasick

Reaction score
Most have an non symmetrical 5 screw flange pattern. Be careful not to over tighten the screws. That can distort the flange. In most cases, no sealant is needed, just a new gasket after a good cleaning of the tank flange.

And yes, if the tank is fairly full and you unscrew the flange, gas can ( and has to me) poured out.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
And yes, if the tank is fairly full and you unscrew the flange, gas can ( and has to me) poured out.
In my case I put it back on wrong so it wasn't tight enough and it sloshed out into the bilge. That was an unpleasant ride home. I like Triumph boats but I hated the one I bought. Much happier with my Grady.