Tubing, Fisheman 216 - 2018 model.

Whazzup

Reaction score
Went tubing today. Trying to make turns, the engine ventilated, a lot. Is that normal or is there a misadjustment somewhere. I was fully trimmed in. Probably around 2000 rpm. I have 200 hp Yamaha.

Woofman

Reaction score
Should not happen. I have a 192 and tube all the time. Not a direct comparison but a 150 etec and no ventilation.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your prop shouldn't ventilate except maybe on sharp turns at high speed. You shouldn't be running with the engine fully trimmed in. That's just for getting on plane. If you run with the engine all the way in, the bow can plow and lift the stern.

Your engine might also be mounted too high. Grady normally recommends the second hole from the top. You can easily tell if your engine is too high or too low. Run on plane with engine trimmed about midway. Have somebody look at the anti-ventilation plate. It should be right at the surface of the wake. Not buried (too low) or more than an inch above the wake (too high).

Reactions: Whazzup

Whazzup

Reaction score
This is all new to me and I appreciate the help. I was basically trying to make sharp turns and really didn't feel like the boat "dug in" the turn. The BoatTest.com and Randy Vance videos both suggest to me that I am not experiencing normal behavior. I will have to check with my dealer about the alignment, or maybe I am doing something wrong.

As to trimming up. I thought that this is done after getting up on plane. Being new at this, I wasn't up on plane so didn't trim up the motor. I'll pay more attention to that next time.

Many thanks for the help

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At 2000 rpm it's likely that you aren't up on plane. You said the motor started to ventilate....did it also rev up or just get loud?

I pull tubers and skiers all the time and don't normally have an issue. Let us know what happens.....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Sounds like you are new to the boat. Try doing the same maneuver without a tow. see if it does the same thing.
Running at 2000 rpm isn't a normal speed for anybody.
You might just be in that limbo between planing and displacement.(you are plowing)

When I tow tubes I goose it to get up then back off and stay up while towing.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Do you have trim tabs? I ask because my 205 came without them and these hulls do not perform unless you have them.

Whazzup

Reaction score
I think I may have been too slow and trying to turn too sharply. I think I’m better now. Thanks

Next question — for those of you with the fisherman 216 how are you storing the rear jump seats. Whether up or down they are holding water and I’m afraid they’ll get moldy