Tuna Gear Question

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It wasn't much of a season for me this year my boat was out of commission and only got south of the Vineyard once with a friend. But next year will be a lot different I upgraded a bit with a new to me 272 GW sailfish. So with Christmas coming I am putting tougher a list of trolling bars and had a few question

Will likely spend more time south of vineyard but definitely hit up Chatham as well
  • what size squid would be best for south of vineyard vs Chatham ( larger fish)
  • what colors worked best for you this year and any colors disappointed this year
  • looking at the wide tracker bars from sterling tackle anyone use them not sure to get the 36 or 18 bar
  • Can the Shimano 50 handle the big boys off Chatham have one Penn 80 that is a beast would rather use smaller gear

As always Thanks for the input and stay safe

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I blue marlin fish more than tuna fish but the setup isn't that much different. We use the Shimano 50's spooled with 80 lb hollow core braid connected to a 80 lb 100 yard mono top shot connected to a 30' 300 lb wind-on leader with a crimped on swivel. All connections are loop-to-loop.

The Penn 80 would be 130 lb hollow core braid connected to a 130 lb 100 yard mono top shot connected to a 30' 400 lb wind-on leader with a crimped on swivel. All connections are loop-to-loop. We don't use the Penn 80 instead we use the Shimano 80. Nothing wrong with the Penn's - we just like the Shimano drag system better.

You can build this yourself but we use BHP Tackle. http://www.bhptackle.com Basil Papas is a great resource who can help you understand the system and get setup. He is in North Jersey but supplies boats worldwide.

The braid gives you the extra capacity and the reels you are using are able to handle the drag set at 30% on strike and still freespool. I would recommend a safety line connected to a ring clamp on the rod especially if you are using a center rigger.

I don't really know what bars or lures to recommences for your area. I'm fishing South from the Hudson canyon (never really go up that far) down to the Norfolk canyon and out. We don't get the giant bluefin bite here. More of a big eye bite generally near, in or deep side of the canyon 100 fathom line.

Last edited:

wrxhoon

Reaction score
We fish marlin and tuna, we use Tiagra 50W's. We still use 50lb mono and 80 lb mono. We are respooling some reels with hollow braid ( bloody expensive) 80 lb and 100 mtrs 50 lb mono on 4 reels, 80 lb mono on the other 2.
Biggest fish a blue Marlin 500 lb , 3.5 hour fight , the fish died unfortunately, plenty blacks and stripped over the years 150-300 lb
Tiagra's are superior to Penn, personal opinion, many years ago we used Penn, I still have a Penn 50W that I don't use.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes the hollow core braid is expensive but has been coming down in price. You only need to buy it once though. Every few years have your tackle store the it off and put it back on. Important to tension it when you put it on. Spectra braid is slippery. The spool will turn inside the line, tighten up and collapse on itself and possibly snag. The hollow core makes it easy to make a loop for connecting the top shot.

Some guys use PowerPro (not hollow core) and make a short 40-turn Bimini for the loop. This is ok but be sure you tie it correctly and put a dab of cyanoacrylate only on the finish half hitches. I prefer Bob Smith Industries Insta-Flex.

For sail fishing on my boat I eliminate the loops and tie everything. 30 lb regular PowerPro for backing, 100 yards of 30 lb Suffix high-vis with short Bimini to swivel, 15' fluorocarbon 50 lb leader to a crimped on 6/0 VMC circle hook. Tying knots with the lighter braid and mono is easy to do and reliable. Not recommended for the heavy duty rod setups.

One of our crew who fishes for big eye tuna out of Manasquan uses the FG knot for heavy braid to mono splices. Nice clean splice that has not failed him. Disadvantage is changing out a top shot. If we blow one up during a tournament its easier to swap out a loop connection. No second guessing if you tied that million dollar knot properly!

Last edited:

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Saw you posted this over on THT also - got some good advice there - for SoMV, 9" and smaller squids, larger for Chatham. Agree with Mike over there, that you are potentially under gunned with 50's in Chatham, but if you are good at boat handling, it can be done. For colors, I try to have dark and light options, and green is good too.

Only tried wide trackers once, conceptually they work, but have significantly more drag than standard bars. I'm going to get a pair, but in 18" for this reason.

Where are you out of? Guessing cape. I'm in Fairhaven.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the 50s are fine. It's all I use. Could you be undersized? Yes, but likely will be fine. I'd start with what you have and add as your wallet and experience tells you. That being said, if you do loose the big one; I'll deny saying it!

Last edited:

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes the hollow core braid is expensive but has been coming down in price. You only need to buy it once though. Every few years have your tackle store the it off and put it back on. Important to tension it when you put it on. Spectra braid is slippery. The spool will turn inside the line, tighten up and collapse on itself and possibly snag. The hollow core makes it easy to make a loop for connecting the top shot.

Some guys use PowerPro (not hollow core) and make a short 40-turn Bimini for the loop. This is ok but be sure you tie it correctly and put a dab of cyanoacrylate only on the finish half hitches. I prefer Bob Smith Industries Insta-Flex.

For sail fishing on my boat I eliminate the loops and tie everything. 30 lb regular PowerPro for backing, 100 yards of 30 lb Suffix high-vis with short Bimini to swivel, 15' fluorocarbon 50 lb leader to a crimped on 6/0 VMC circle hook. Tying knots with the lighter braid and mono is easy to do and reliable. Not recommended for the heavy duty rod setups.

One of our crew who fishes for big eye tuna out of Manasquan uses the FG knot for heavy braid to mono splices. Nice clean splice that has not failed him. Disadvantage is changing out a top shot. If we blow one up during a tournament its easier to swap out a loop connection. No second guessing if you tied that million dollar knot properly!

have not used hollow braid but have been seeing a lot of threads on it lately will for sure look into it

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Saw you posted this over on THT also - got some good advice there - for SoMV, 9" and smaller squids, larger for Chatham. Agree with Mike over there, that you are potentially under gunned with 50's in Chatham, but if you are good at boat handling, it can be done. For colors, I try to have dark and light options, and green is good too.

Only tried wide trackers once, conceptually they work, but have significantly more drag than standard bars. I'm going to get a pair, but in 18" for this reason.

Where are you out of? Guessing cape. I'm in Fairhaven.
hear in the same with regards to drag will also start off with the 18" I am out of Falmouth. only got out one but herd the dump was slow how did you do

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
hear in the same with regards to drag will also start off with the 18" I am out of Falmouth. only got out one but herd the dump was slow how did you do

Took 3 trips down, first two to dump, third to Atlantis. Results poor. But learned a lot about the boat, which will be used in future. On overnight, broke off sword, got mahi. Was a slow morning troll for everyone that day. Had to run with no intel due to stormy weather prior week/10 days.