Tuna Regs about to change?????

lgusto

Reaction score
I already have my permit for 2010. As stated on the permit and on:

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp#news231

Coastwide General Category BFT Fishery will reopen on 6/1/10
The coastwide General category BFT fishery closed at 11:59 p.m. on January 31, 2010. The fishery will reopen on June 1.

Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL.

These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area.

However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species.

The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ok, gotta question. When they say curved forked length, is this measuring the inside V part of the caudal fin at the base where the tail connects to the spine on the body or is it measuring the tip of the caudal fin? I dont fish for blue fin, but I want to be sure if we stumble upon one.

Here is my stupid fish story of the day. several years ago I was fishing for yellow tail snapper and the minimum size was 12 inches. We were catching all these 11 inch fish and I assumed because my Florida Sportsman yard stick did not exactly say how to measure the booger. So we are out there all night, no flags, but alot of these 11 inch fish and I tossed them back. Turns out I was using a fork length measurement taking it from inside the fork where the tail meets the spine and you measure total length. These fish were about 15 inches long if you factor the tail length...in a Napolean Dynamite voice... I was such an idiot gossshhhh...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Ok, gotta question. When they say curved forked length, is this measuring the inside V part of the caudal fin at the base where the tail connects to the spine on the body or is it measuring the tip of the caudal fin? I dont fish for blue fin, but I want to be sure if we stumble upon one.

For CFL: Total curved fork length is the sole criterion for determining the size class of whole (head on) Atlantic tunas for regulatory purposes. Curved fork length means a measurement of the length of a tuna taken in a line tracing the contour of the body from the tip of the upper jaw to the fork of the tail, which abuts the upper side of the pectoral fin and the upper side of the caudel keel.The measuring tape must pass over (and touch) the pectoral fin and the caudal keel.

http://www.iccat.int/Documents/SCRS/Other/BFT age sampling EN.pdf

Hope that answers your question.

Brian