Tuna tower on 268 islander 1999

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think I may know the answer for this question, but thought I would reach out to see if anyone has seen one. I have a 1999 268 islander that has been redone, repowered and is used for big 100-150 trips off Southern California. 26’-11” in length and 8’-6” beam. If I reinforce the hardtop and add a minimal second helm station with a binnacle and steering, would there be any significant issues that would reduce the value or operability of the boat?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is an ass for every seat, but the question is how many more or less asses will want to be in that seat.
IMO this hull rolls a bit much as it is. I can't imagine what another 2-300 lbs 8-10' off the water would do (including driver weight).
Member Rbarclay did the same thing you are proposing and sold the boat shortly after - if that tells you anything.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What are you hoping to see from up there? It's not really that much elevation. Personally I think the boat is too narrow for the weight being up that high. What about a better radar or a high-res pan/tilt/zoom camera on a pole mount interfaced to your display?

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a ‘95 that would always list coming off a wake and need a ton of tab to correct. I was at a Home Depot one day with a Grady shirt on and this guy asks me what I had. I told him a 268 and he asked if I had a hard top. I told him I did and he asked me about the list and said the top is to high and heavy for the beam, even with twin 200 HPDIs. He said he worked for Grady delivering boats for years and knew all about the issues with the 268. I can’t imagine how the extra weight that high up would act on the boat. Great, fast boat but not a candidate for a tower in my opinion.