Twin Engine Fuel Flow Monitoring Systems

cgmiller

Reaction score
Who has installed fuel flow meters on their twin engine boats and what kind are you using an liking? I have used the flowscan cruisemaster 5000's on a few boats and all current and recent boats have had Navman/northstar units....I installed a flow scan twin scan system in a 34 Silverton that I had, but dont want to replace the digital yamaha gauges ......

cgmiller

Reaction score
Nobody has fuel flow meters on their boats?? I find that hard to believe that I am the only super anal one out there who likes to see my fuel burn and have an accurate account of what is in my tank(s)?????

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Back around 1980, I installed a floscan system to a single engine 204 Grady and loved it. I had a 4-cyl in/out board that seemed to make gas because it only used around 7 gallons/hr at W.O.T. (around 25 mph). Although I loved it, it was of little use because I used somewhere between 5 and 7 gallons/hr no matter what speed I ran. It was a gadget that I like to fool with.

When I got my second Grady, I installed one on it. It had a 225 Johnston on it that sucked gas faster than the pump could fill the tank. I had sticker shock when it read 15 gallons/hr at 25mph. I really needed it to fine tune the speed for the water conditions and load on the boat. Properly trimmed it could save me 4 or 5 gallons/hr. This was a flo-scan meter also.

My third Grady has twin 250 Yamaha 4 strokes that have the gages that give me the total flow for either engine or both if set up that way. I have also installed two Garmin 4210's that are attached to the engines and they also give fuel flow of either/both engines but in a much clearer, easier to see format. I now seldom look at the Yamaha gages because on the 283, you sit further back from the gages and they are harder to read for an old person. One of the 4210's are always on the engine gages to show fuel being used, speed (GPS), RPM, total fuel used and oil pressure. I doubt I could function without this information readily available.

The Garmin system is usually right with a tolerance of less than 1%. Twice when I filled the tank up with more than 100 gallons, the Garmin system was within a gallon or two and this can be explained by maybe the nozzle cutting off early or the temperature of the fuel.

I cannot explain why, but the Yamaha gages are accurate to within 3 or 4% which is not as good as the Garmin but I'm sure both use the same metering device, just report the results in a different format.

If you do not have a flo-meter on your engines, I feel it would be important for you to install one. The only experience I have is with the flo-scan system and it was a good experience.

In addition to the possible savings you would get by monitoring your fuel use, there is a safety factor you need to consider. I do not trust any fuel gage that depends on a float to determine the amount of fuel in a tank.

I hope this helps.

Ed

cgmiller

Reaction score
ED,

Thanks for the input...I have had similar experiences. The first Flowscan I bought went into a 1989 23 Steigercraft with a 225 Evinrude with 6 freakin carburators....it would suck down 1 gallon of gas before I could gets the ropes untied.....18 gallons per hour at 4000 rpms at about 27 mph...my Shamrocks have burned 8 to 11 gallons per hour, etc..I have had flow meters in all my boats for the last 12-13 years....I will have to look at the Garmin units..I am a Garmin guy all my plotters (4) are garmins as well my auto gps's (2)..thanks!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CG, I found the (real) Flowscan as accurate as the current Yamaha system I have, based on totalizer readings.
It's how I fill the tanks and use the gph numbers to set throttles to share motor loading evenly, instead of RPM info which doesn't work for me.

Incredibly accurate in both cases, had the mechanical dial type Flowscan with digital totalizer and a toggle sw for seeing each motor.

In any case, whatever gauges you have now stay intact, independant systems. Unique harnesses too.
I presume you don't have command link.
If you have multifuction tachs and also a multifuction speedo, a yamaha FMS gauge will match those. Any other doesn't match.

That's it, except for GPS input if you want to see mpg or mph. The Yamaha system can, not dial type Flowscan.

Some multifunction displays can also show fuel management info which avoids the gauge altogether and mismatch with it, if so concerned.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Bbo,

I'll have to check with the yamaha dealer when I have the boat hauled and serviced for the winter. The gauges in the boat are the digital tachs and 1 other gauge that shows fuel level from the tanks, which is not currently working, along with speed and voltage.....I have installed the flow scan cruisemaster 5000 in 3 different boats and the flow scan twin scan in a 34 silverton and then when the digital totalizer display corroded out on my last flow scan gauge, I started using the mucvh cheaper navman units, which provided more info as you could enter in tank volume and it would track trip burn, total fuel used and remaining volume...they are good units for 130 bucks....

bc282

Reaction score
i installed the Navman 3100 Fuel mgmt gauge/xducer on a single engine boat and it was OK once it was calibrated.
not sure of the longevity for the 3100 system as the boat was sold the next year. I did read on THT that the 2100 and 3100 Navmans saw mixed reviews. When working they were great, but some users experienced problems with the xducer and had to replace it too often which is a PITA. Xducer (flow paddle wheel thing) sounded like the weak link.

Next boat (GW282) had the full set of Yami gauges including the fuel mgmt for the twin engines (F225's).
Boat and motors are 2002 vintage and so far no problems with any gauge.

I've found the fuel mgmt gauge to be very useful and a great tool to help find the sweet spot for long cruises to save fuel.
could also be used to help trouble shoot engine issues, but fortunate not to have had any yet.
From "putting my ear to the ground" on THT in regards to the yami fuel mgmt system, the yami system seems to be robust and pretty accurate with most all users satisfied.

If you've got a boat with Yami's, i'd recommend sticking with yami's fuel mgmt gauge/system (looks nicer too as it'll match the existing gauges).

cgmiller

Reaction score
BC,

Thanks for the insight. I have run a handfull of the 2100 and have experienced the transducer issues, but they were typically replaced w/o issue from the manufacturer. My dad replaced his 2100 over the summer with a 3100 that he got from Northstar for slightly more than the cost of a new transducer....I remember considering the yamaha gauge when I repowered my last boat with a new yammie, but the sensor and gauge was going to cost a few hundred bucks and I already had the 2100 installed in the boat...I have some time to look around.....