Twin F225 Injector Question

sluggoe

Reaction score
I have twin 2002 f225s on my sailfish. this summer, one engine would begin to run rough, sputter, and then stall at low trolling speeds (under 4). It would start up fine right after. At higher trolling speeds it was fine and at running speeds there were no problems.

The motors have had the $5K corrosion fix already.

Has anybody had this issue? My mechanic said it was likely clogged fuel injectors and might be cured by running injector cleaner filled with gas in an external tank thru the problem engine.....and if that didn't work the injectors should be sent out for servicing.

I trust my mechanic and will take his advice but I was wondering if anybody had been through this issue before with the injectors, what you did to fix it (major and/or minor work) and what the results were (ever happen again etc.) after work was complete.

any insight here would be appreciated!!

>slugg

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the same motors and year. I had an issue with one of my motors. I would get some hesitation when excelerating and couldnt get higher than 4,700 rpm's. The motor never stalled though and after the initial hesitation ran great up to 4,700. I first changed the VST, plugs and all filters. That fixed the hesitation but not the high RPM issue. I then had the injectors sent out to be cleaned. That was the trick, runs like new again. Certified Yamaha guy diagnosed the injectors. Thats probably your problem if you have done all the filters, plugs and VST. By the way I also had to do the mid sections. Best of luck.

sluggoe

Reaction score
great, thanks for your reply. I will indeed get the injectors sent out for service. My Yamaha mechanic is a good guy and is usually spot on for diagnosing problems.