twin Yamaha outboards - RPM display reversed

Hans Grouper

Reaction score
I have twin 2018 yamaha f150 which were connected to two 6y8 gauges and the port engine showed rpm on the starboard gauge and vice versa. (previous owner did a repower)
The port key starts port engine, starboard key starts starboard engine.
I just upgraded to a 6YC display and initialized the system with using the port key to turn the system on and initialize it, SB key is/was in off position.
Then Port engine metrics are again displayed on the CY7 on SB side and SB engine metrics on port side.

I have a yamaha hub on the stern and then a hub in the console. Standard rigging.
Any ideas where the mismatch is in the wiring or setup? Any advise highly appreciated.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I ran into this when I worked for a Yamaha dealer a few years back. It was on a new seafox with twin yamahas except different gauges. After a phone call with Yamaha problem was not in the rigging but how the initial startup went. There is a sequence and I think starboard engine gets keyed on first then you make your way to port. There is a way to reset it somehow with the gauge and do the sequence correctly.

I'm sorry I don't remember it exactly.

Hans Grouper

Reaction score
Thank you for your replyIMG_6162.JPG. I followed the manual for the 6YC where it states to initialize with the port engine first.So I turned port key switch first, SB key in off position, selected 2 engines in the setup and then the display shows metrics for port engine on the right. side of 6YC.

Tried the same sequence after I did a reset of the unit for the SB engine (SB) and got the metrics now displayed on the port side.
I think that somehow the outboard engines are programmed in their ECU that way. Is that possible? If so how to reset?

Reactions: A&J Outdoors