Twin Z200 HPDI Mystery Filters...

bartoma

Reaction score
I changed out all of the basket filters in the injectors; now eyeing up the pair in each fuel pump...

Do I need to reflexively replace the O-rings on the fuel lines (and elsewhere, if any)? Seem like most people who have done this just coat the existing ones with 2 stroke oil... I did replace the injector O-rings, but they came with the filters...

Bretts02

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I recently did the same job, did not change out the orings due to the ridiculous Yamaha prices, plan to fire the motors up in a week or so. Have you found a source for them at a reasonable price? I believe there are 9 of the thick orings needed just for the high pressure lines and the pump. And two of the thinner oring.

bartoma

Reaction score
Yea, my mechanic friend was pretty insistent that we change them... Mechanic's best practices, he says - never reuse O-rings, seals, and gaskets...

No, I ordered 14 packing kits (gulp) and two O-rings from Crowley... This was what my fiend thinks we need, so if were short on the first one, we can order more - or not... It appears to me that people who do this job don't bother with replacing them, and I haven't seen any subsequent reports of leaks of fires... Of course, this is all pretty high pressure stuff, so maybe it's better to err on the side of caution... It will certainly be the last time I replace these filters, I imagine...

seasick

Reaction score
If they are original and OLD, they should be replaced, My general rule is that relatively new gaskets can be reused ( meaning a season or two at most).
The potential issues with injector o-rings is that they may swell over time and are hard to reuse and can get 'pinched when doing so.
Here is a better rule; If you reuse gaskets or such and later might have to redo the job due to leaks, and as you redo the job, you say " I'd pay anything to not have to do this $%@! job again", you should replace the gaskets now!

Reactions: bartoma