Twist turn button

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have been searching for a twist turn button for the straps on my canvas.
This has the button on the out side and the shaft secures the strap for rolling the curtains.
Have been searching the internet and the canvas shops around here and they have not seen them.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wrong terminology - that's what's setting you back. Google for twist lock snap.

Where is "here"? These are by no means a rare item.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wrong terminology - that's what's setting you back. Google for twist lock snap.

Where is "here"? These are by no means a rare item.

Here is Kitty Hawk, NC. I've searched it many ways. The twist lock snap allows the the straps to rotate on it.
If I could find some with a machined shaft, I could make that work with washers and a nut.
Thanks for the reply.

Fishtales

Reaction score
why not give Lee at A&J Canvas in Vanceboro NC a call. I'm sure she could either provide or tell you where to obtain.

Reactions: Ky Grady

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think I understand what you're looking for. The strap that hangs down and used when you roll up the curtain pivots at the point where it attaches to the curtain. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as a riveted snap or riveted twist lock similar to the above. The rivet allows the strap to turn. Just need to get the right sized rivet so when it's squeezed, it will not bind.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The twist locks that I've seen have an oblong post where the mating piece slips over - no rotation. I'm not sure what you're asking... do you WANT the strap to rotate?

I'm surprised that there's no canvas shop in your area that knows of these - I'm in PA and I know about them! :)

I've seen them with a screw thread stud, but personally, have never seen them with a machined thread. I've also seen them with a two-hole mounting base where you could use whatever type of fastener you wanted. S&J, HandiMan and DOT are some of the manufacturers I'm aware of - Google should help you. Did you look at other products available on that Sailrite link that Jim provided? That's a good place to go for this stuff. I've heard good things about A&J that Fish mentioned, as well.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think I understand what you're looking for. The strap that hangs down and used when you roll up the curtain pivots at the point where it attaches to the curtain. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as a riveted snap or riveted twist lock similar to the above. The rivet allows the strap to turn. Just need to get the right sized rivet so when it's squeezed, it will not bind.
That is the description I have been looking for. You are correct.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You are going to have to use the backing plate/washer to hold that in, and the rivet barrel will have to be loosely flared to allow it to pivot. Make sure the barrel is long enough for the thickness of your layers, and the washer.

The P&S tools for setting those fasteners are several hundred dollars. Will a local shop press them for you?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd got to a local marine upholstery shop with that info. They have to have the tool and be able to address it for you for short money.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Yes the key is to get good quality too