Two 150s or One 250 on Center Console

downtown

Reaction score
Looking for a boat for the Florida Keys.

Looking at the 257 Advance. I can afford one circa 2005 vintage. I have a Marlin now, which I will keep in Montauk. Question is the 2 vs.1 motor question. I am seeing boats with two 150s or one 250. Yes, I'd like to have two engines in case one goes down. But it's double the weight. I didn't realize that there is not much weight difference between the 150 and 250 Four strokes. They both are about 500 lbs.

Any thoughts on this as far as mpg, safety, handling, etc. I will probably not be going farther offshore than 20 or 25 miles.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 270 Islander new with a single 250HP OX66. Repowered three seasons later with twin F150s to improve the fuel efficiency so we could fish offshore.

I think the single F250 would be fine in on the 257 Advance, and for the use you intend.

We have a member of our local Grady-White club who repowered a 268 Islander from a 250HP OX66 to the new F300 and he is very satisfied with that set up.

Brian

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A lot of this probably comes down to personal preference, but maintenance costs aside, I would vote for twins. Reliability/redundancy - easier problem shooting since you can swap components - better slow speed maneuverability - better hole shot. Although, like mentioned above, it's not like you're going 50 mile out. But maybe it all comes down to... who doesn't luv twins! :D

downtown

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm loving the twins, but started having second thoughts when I realized that the additional weight is considerable.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, yeah, there's definitely some more weight back there and whether or not that would push scuppers too far under the waterline - depends on the boat. But, that can always be offset by adding some weight to the bow. BUT, on the positive side, you have another 50HP and another prop to do the work for you. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the two 150's outperformed (both hole shot and top end) the single 250. But, there's no question that just having another prop to help push the boat will make a huge difference. Even with 2 125's, you've still got more propulsive power (I'm sure there's a more technical term for this!) than a single 250.

billyttpd

Reaction score
The way the 257 is described in the brochure listing shaft lengths for twin or single alludes to me that the Grady engineers designed that boat for single or twin power...which tells me that although yes the additional weight is there with the twins the boat was designed with that in mind

grady23

Reaction score
I have a'97 Gulfstream with twin 150's and have spoken to MANY owners with the single 250. Almost everyone one of them said they wished they had opted for the twins. I like the redundancy and the fact that I can troll on one(1) engine and only use about 1.5 GPH. Manuvering is much easier as well as the way the boat tracks with going slow. The boat also gets on plane very fast, even with 4 BIG guys on-board. True --- It's twice the maintance, It's also twice the peice of mind. I have had two situations in the past where having the second engine enabled me to return to the dock without waiting on SeaTow.

J-Sea

Reaction score
Downtown - Twin 150s without a doubt. I have a 2005 Grady White 257 Advance with 150 Yamaha 4 strokes. I looked long and hard for this specific boat. I fish off the south shore of long island new york and run 60 - 80 miles off (epirbs, rafts, dual vhf's, all the safety equipment and buddy boat) but I also looked at single vs twin application prior to purchasing and the twins performed better hands down (again my opinion). The Single vs Twin debate gets pretty heated in terms of pro's and con's; however, this boat (the 257 Advance) is rated for 350 Max HP. A single 250 is under-powered in my opinion based on personal sea tria of five different 257 advances.

Performance wise, here are specs for the Twin 150 setup on Yamaha's website (test weight specs - the dry weight of the 257 advance is 3,500lbs, plus approx 1,000lbs in motors, fuel, 2 person and 2 batteries gets to a tested weight of 5,981lbs):

RPMS MPH GPH MPG
1000 5.1 1.6 3.19
1500 7.4 2.2 3.36
2000 9.0 3.9 2.31
2500 11.7 5.7 2.05
3000 21.5 7.0 3.07
3500 27.7 9.4 2.95
4000 33.2 12.3 2.70
4500 37.7 15.0 2.51
5000 42.0 19.0 2.21
5500 46.2 25.3 1.83
6000 48.2 28.4 1.7

I can tell you that when I sea trialed it (because I run off shore and wanted to get a better sense for fuel economy), I had a fuel tank of fuel and had 5 200lb guys on board along for the sea trial to simulate the typical 3 guys I run with and additional gear (ice, equipment, bait). We cruised at 3,700 RPMS at 26MPH burning between 10.5 and 13 GPH (seas dictated) which translates to a MPG of 2.0 to 2.47MPG - for an off shore vessell, thats very solid. And while this is slightly lower than the test specs above where they did 27.7MPH and got 2.95 MPG, i had approx 600lbs - 1000lbs additional weight on my sea trial.

In terms of the single vs twins, the Twin 150 setup pushes the boat great and maneuverability was excellent (docking with hardly even turning the steering wheel). Interms of maintenance cost, of course its a bit more, but its not double like everyone thinks. First of all, if you have a bit of mechanical know-how, you can do the basic maintenance yourself, which offsets the cost. For example, most 250 - 300 singles have 6 or 8 cylinders. These are inline 4's and so each has 4 spark plugs instead of 6 or 8 on a single - not much difference. Water separators, engine oil, lower unit oil and fuel filters (non-water separator) are items that you can change yourself and save big bucks - doesn't take long at all. I do, and recommend, having a Yamaha certified tech do the recommended 100HR, 500HR services to ensure the seals and all inside (thermostats and water pumps) are good because it's this preventative maintenance that will get you THOUSANDS of hours on these motors.

Also, the twin setup provides that redundancy both with regard to the ability to get yourself home and while you may not plane depending on how you're propped and how much weight you've got on board, it's way more torque and propulsion than a tiny kicker (that most people don't even use until it's too late and then it may not fire up when needed). Two alternators is nice too so that you can choose how you'd like to ultimately have the boat wired.

In short, I think that this boat is amazing and is a perfect vessell for those in shore days rafting up with buddies as well as the long runs off-shore.

Let me know if there are any other questions that I could try and help with - good luck with the purchase.

downtown

Reaction score
Thanks J Sea. That really helps. I'm not keen on a single and after hearing all the experiences, twins would be the way to go. I can afford about a 2005. I also like the setup on the transom with the later models.

Can't believe the mileage your getting. I'll look it up, but do you know what your boat weights for trailering?

I'll probably make a move on one as soon as the weather starts to warm.

J-Sea

Reaction score
Downtown - no problem. The transom setup is pretty solid on these with the large fishbox and large livewell.

I contemplated and priced out new trailers for this and ultimately decided against it (mainly because the all-in price tag of almost $5k and the fact that i only use the trailer twice a year, to put it in the water and to pull it out in the fall/winter).

This is my estimate of a fully loaded boat (probably about 400-500lbs heavier than when i sea-trialed):

Dry Weight 3,500
Twin Yamaha 150s 982
151 gallons of fuel @ 7 lbs per gallon 1,057
2 Batteries @ 60 lbs each 120
Ice 400
3 People @ 185lbs 555
Ttop - Estimate 300
Fishing Gear (Gaffs, rods, tackle, chum) 150
Anchor Rode and Anchor 100
Other Safety Gear (e.g., Life Raft) 150
Estimated Weight - Offshore Fishing 7,314

I would say a fare estimate is to assume 2.0MPG loaded down and better when you run lighter; sea trial proved that but it I also consider that it wasn't very rough that day; i don't go off-shore if its not calm (1-3 or less) but I also factor in building seas to my fuel calc's before doing so.

downtown

Reaction score
Thanks J Sea. That helps. With a relatively empty boat, I might be able to trailer this with my SUV. I have a towing package that gets me to about 4500 lbs. I would only trailer very short distances.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
downtown said:
Thanks J Sea. That helps. With a relatively empty boat, I might be able to trailer this with my SUV. I have a towing package that gets me to about 4500 lbs. I would only trailer very short distances.

I don't trailer, but 4500 lbs includes the weight of the trailer, so that would just cover the bare hull and trailer, with no engines, fuel, or anything else.

JMHO.

downtown

Reaction score
Good point on the trailer. I will have to get something beefier eventually.