Two Bilge Pumps - one switch?

Pete1313

Reaction score
My 1997 Voyager (new to me) has a forward and aft bilge pump. However, the control panel only has one switch that says "aft bilge." When I turn it on, it turns on both bilge pumps.

The previous owner had added some switches and used the ACC switch for a baitwell pump.....so I know its been messed with....but the weird thing is - there is not even a switch with the marking "forward bilge".

Was this normal on some models? I can't figure out why there would not even be a switch with the forward bilge label on it. It is obvious that the switches did not have a "forward bilge" label....

????

richie rich

Reaction score
Pete, they normally each have a switch.....check your GW owners manual as it should have a schematic.....or go on the GW web site for a schematic for your particular model......I would want a control switch for each.

Pete1313

Reaction score
Richie Rich - did that already. My manual from Grady says it should have two bilge switches-- one forward one aft. The previous onwer screwed with the wiring, so I'm not surprised it isn't right, but the weird thing is, there is no marked switch for a forward bilge pump...only an aft bilge pump......this is what stumps me, as the switch panel is obviously OEM...with a couple of nice 1970's "Van" toggle switches added for the accessories that were added......

Oh well...at least they work....and I will be re-wiring the boat this next winter anyway-- goal now is to get her ready for halibut, lingcod and shrimp season, which starts here May 1....and only lasts at most a month!

richie rich

Reaction score
Pete, if you check the wiring right at the toggle switch, both brown wires should be there, tied in together....if the previous owner made the change, I doubt he'd re-route the forward bilge wire and probably just spliced it it....you can add another toggle or you may already have a spare toggle and wire the 2nd brown into it....just make sure you have the appropriate fuse to match the pump motor size.....

but if the fish are biting, you could wait until next season! 8)

seabob4

Reaction score
Pete1313 said:
My 1997 Voyager (new to me) has a forward and aft bilge pump. However, the control panel only has one switch that says "aft bilge." When I turn it on, it turns on both bilge pumps.

The previous owner had added some switches and used the ACC switch for a baitwell pump.....so I know its been messed with....but the weird thing is - there is not even a switch with the marking "forward bilge".

Was this normal on some models? I can't figure out why there would not even be a switch with the forward bilge label on it. It is obvious that the switches did not have a "forward bilge" label....

????

What you probably have is a bilge pump controlled ONLY by the float. Many builders configure the cabin bilge pump this way. Brown from the pump is spliced to one gray lead off the float. The other gray lead (fused) goes to the breaker box or has an inline fuse. When the pump has a manual switch, the brown/gray splice will have a lead going to a switch at the helm...

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the forward bilge pump is running when you turn on aft bilge pump, you'll want to run a separate switch to the forward one.