Two Questions

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Q1. How far away from the rub rails are your trailer guides?

Q2. Seacocks 228. Are there just the two, accessible under each of the transom seats?

Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My guides are an inch off the rub rails and I have 3 seacocks, one cutoff handle in each rear box for raw water wash down and baitwell pump and one in the starboard side storage compartment in the cuddy for the overboard discharge for port a potty.
20191024_054037.jpg

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My port a potty isn’t plumbed so then I’ll just have the raw water wash down and bait well.
That’s about as far as my guides are from the rub rail. Had forgotten about them until I noticed them zip tied the the trailer under the boat. Haven’t had guides before.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I took my potty out and all the plumbing along with it. I had the vent and discharge holes filled in. No more smell and gained some storage.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If I took the potty out, it would negate the entire reason I spent this much on the friggin boat! lol

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I had a bigger boat, say my new to me 282 Sailfish, I'd leave the potty in!! My wife is good with a bucket if needed, most of the time she'll just jump in. The guys can hang it over if a duce is forthcoming!! :eek:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
And THAT, my fellow GW peeps, is the image that starts off the second half of your week.. lol

R

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Q1. How far away from the rub rails are your trailer guides?

Q2. Seacocks 228. Are there just the two, accessible under each of the transom seats?

Thanks

Sean, in Au the guides will put you over the max width (2.5 mtrs) , then you need wide load .
You should be able to access the levers to open and shut the seacocks under the jump seats . If you need to service the valves you have to take the livewell tank off.

Willy-C

Reaction score
Guides 1” off rubrails, emergency crap bucket supplies under consoleo_O

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sean, in Au the guides will put you over the max width (2.5 mtrs) , then you need wide load .
You should be able to access the levers to open and shut the seacocks under the jump seats . If you need to service the valves you have to take the livewell tank off.

Took the boat trailer with boat and guides for inspection and registration today. They guy who did the measuring didn’t mention the guides. Had them hard up against the rub rails.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I need to get some good guides for my trailer, just not sure which ones are solid enough to handle the weight of this boat AND... go far enough up into the pvc to keep it from bending.

Any good links for adding trailer guides?

R

Greyduk

Reaction score
I need to get some good guides for my trailer, just not sure which ones are solid enough to handle the weight of this boat AND... go far enough up into the pvc to keep it from bending.

Any good links for adding trailer guides?

R
Russ, you might take a look at C E Smith post guide ons. The make a 60" and 75" version. The steel post is 39" high in both cases.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Took the boat trailer with boat and guides for inspection and registration today. They guy who did the measuring didn’t mention the guides. Had them hard up against the rub rails.

They are an add on and removable so he wouldn't care about it for rego purposes. The max width of the load can't be more than 2.5mtrs , if it is you need a wide load permit .
I have them on my trailer , I leave them on when I go to the closest boat ramp but I take them off when traveling any distance . In case of an accident, especially a serious one with injury or death you could have problems because they will measure everything. I don't want to scare you, just letting you know about the regulations. You should also have a flag at the rear during the day and a red light at night because leg in more than 1.2 mtrs from the rearmost of the trailer . That's easy fix you can buy the flag from a boat shop and use a battery operated LED light tied to the leg.
Have a read on this link.
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/vehicle-safety/transporting-loads/projecting-loads

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@Greyduk - Would 60" be fine, or ya think the 75" would be better? I am thinking the extra cost for 75" may not be worth the added length as 60" should allow me to see the trailer fine.

Also, was thinking I like the ones with LED lights, or at least .. may add some reflectors to see in the dark.

Thanks bud.

OP: Sorry to hijack your questions, but had the same question ;)

Just ordered a pair of 60" CE Smiths from Amazon for under 100 bucks.. had a $30 gift card so.. under $70 even heh.

R

Last edited:

Greyduk

Reaction score
@Greyduk - Would 60" be fine, or ya think the 75" would be better? I am thinking the extra cost for 75" may not be worth the added length as 60" should allow me to see the trailer fine.

Also, was thinking I like the ones with LED lights, or at least .. may add some reflectors to see in the dark.

Thanks bud.

OP: Sorry to hijack your questions, but had the same question ;)

Just ordered a pair of 60" CE Smiths from Amazon for under 100 bucks.. had a $30 gift card so.. under $70 even heh.

R
Russ, the only difference between the two is the PVC and the 75" extends out further. If you find that the 60" are not as tall as you would like, then you can buy the PVC at Home Depot etc. and make it as tall as you would like.