tying up on a beach

Old Lion

Reaction score
I have a new 255 with a power windlass. I used to own a 205 which I could put right up on the beach. I would like to make use of the power windlass by dropping the anchor and then using the stern anchor to tie up on the beach. Any advice? How far out should I drop the main anchor? How much rode? And can I use the power windlass to pull the boat out?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It depends a lot on how deep the water is and how steep the drop off is. If you beach the hull the windlass will not pull you off the sand. Some areas where I beach require adjustments every 1/2 hr or so with a gradual drop off..other areas with a deep/steep drop off require no adjustments...As far as scope, the more the better. As long as your not interfering with the entire beach.If your anchored near other boats you dont want a risk of poping your anchor because you didnt allow for enough scope.Drop the bow anchor in the deep and back up to the sand. 8)

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Old Lion

Reaction score
Thanks; under whatcircumstances if any would you put the bow on the beach? And if you put the stern near the beach do you use the windlass to pull out the boat?

capeguy

Reaction score
I have done this for years with my 180 and always did bow first. Now, I have a 282 and like you a windlass. Here is my plan for anchoring with the stern to the beach. I haven't tried this yet so love to get input from others.

We anchor on a beach with very strong tidal current and often is crowded. I figured I would go upcurrent from the spot I will end up, and drop the anchor from the bow. Then the current will push me back and allow me to set the anchor. Once infront of space, use the engines to turn and back in while
allowing more rode out if necessary.

Then second anchor off of stern. Will have to adjust for falling tide so not to beach her. Also tide change reverses the current which may require this all to change!

JeffN

Reaction score
Most times I do pretty much what Capeguy and Gman have described. I don't have a windlass but would assume that if you are not aground just use the windlass to pull you to the anchor. I dont see where that is any different than normal anchor retrieval. As to bow or stern to the beach I think it depends on the beach and water depth and how high your bow is. How easy is it to board over your bow? If it is shallow it really does not matter as you can get still off load from the stern, if the bottom drops away quickly I usually back in and drop my bow anchor on the way in and throw an anchor off the stern to hold me to the beach. Don't run your motor into the sand of course. When you are unloaded etc take up on the bow anchor to move you out from the beach. Next nice weekend day go over to Whale and look at how people are anchored up. The bottom drops off quickly most palces along there and if you go bow in and get off the stern your crew may be swimming. The larger boats usually go in stern first over there. At any rate you will see lots of anchoring examples, see what makes the most sense to you. Keep in mind that there is no one constant best answer for a particular situation every time, wind and tide along with other variables will require adjustments. Have fun.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since you normally have an onshore wind in the afternoon, it's best to anchor with the bow facing offshore.

We used to put the bow anchor down regardless of the direction of the current and then wade or swim the stern anchor to the beach. After pulling the stern around toward the beach, we would then bury the stern anchor in the sand. That way, the boat isn't going to go anywhere as long we had enough scope out off of the bow. We would use at least 7X the depth of the water for the scope off the bow anchor. Since the stern anchor was buried, it didn't mater how much scope was used at the stern. But the stern needed to be far enough off the beach so that it would not come close to the sand in the event that the tide went out.

Never had a problem in 14 years. Even during bad thunderstorms.

Having a windlass, pulling the boat way from the beach should be a piece of cake.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most people at the beach we hang out on are very helpful.Its not uncommen for someone to walk up as your backing down on the sand and offer to walk your anchor to the beach....Here is an example of the way we do it..The bow is in about 6-8 ft of water here so theres not much need for adjustment.

DSC01152%20(640x480).JPG

DSC01152%20(1024x768).JPG

Old Lion

Reaction score
These are great comments. This is one of the advantages of being a member of the GW family. PS to Nantucketer --what is Whale Beach? With our old 205 we would usually go out of Madaket and usually for Esta or Tuckernuck. :nicethread :nicethread

JeffN

Reaction score
When you go out to Tuckernuck and go inside the point on the Tuckernuck side of the Smiths Point opening into the cove there the beach on your port side was know as Whale island or Whale shoal back in the day before it connected to Tuckernuk. So you are probably already going to Whale. That or Esters are good places for the "stern to" anchoring.

Old Lion

Reaction score
Re: Whale. I have been there. Very tricky because it is so shallow. Great spot, however.

Old Lion

Reaction score
Has anybody tried tying up from the stern solo? I can't see how it can be done with a falling tide.

JeffN

Reaction score
Do you mean stern to the beach with a single anchor on the beach? I have done that on a couple of occasions but briefly. There are a few problems. One is that you need an off shore wind to keep the boat from drifting up on the beach. Of course if you have a 13' whaler no problem pull it back to the water. How heavy a boat can you move around on the beach? Another is that you need lots of room in that as the wind shifts so does your boat, if anyone is anchored near you they are not going to be happy having to watch where your boat is going. As to the falling tide part if you have the room etc to anchor as you have described just place the anchor up the beach a bit and as the tide falls move the anchor back towards the water and the boat will ride further from the beach. of course the boat will now have more line to blow around on. I prefer to use two anchors, it is just a more simple and secure solution. You said you have a capstan - just back in towards the beach and as you go drop the bow anchor and when you get close enough send one of your crew to put a stern anchor on the beach and adjust you lines to get the boat to sit where you want it. As the tide rises or falls you may have to tweak your lines but thats not a big deal.