Type of prop for F225 on Grady 258

SteveS

Reaction score
I'm looking for information on what type and size prop is currently being used on a Grady 258 with a Yamaha F225. Are you satisfied with the performance?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Steve: Yamaha tested this combo on 8-21-02 with a 15 1/4 X 17 SWS prop. See Yamaha's test here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/prod ... -GRW-B.pdf

The next day, Grady tested this same combo (probably same boat?) with a 13 3/4 X 19 M prop. See Grady's web site for performance specs.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that Grady didn't like the fact that the first (Yamaha) test gave a top end just under 40 mph. So Grady changed props the next day and touched 40 mph.

Looking at the two - and assuming all else is equal - I like the higher cruising speed and greater fuel efficiency at 4,000 rpm of the Yamaha test more than I like the slightly higher top end of the Grady test.

On my boat I have a 15 1/2 X 17 M SWSII, but I have an F250. For what it is worth, I get 27 mph at 4,000 rpm and a top end of 42.7 mph at 6,000 rpm with the boat lightly loaded and a half tank of gas.

Rob

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Steve:

I'll try and check mine tomorrow. The speed looks about right in the link Rob provided (rather than what is on the Grady site) -- but I don't think I get the fuel economy...

- Robert

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry for the delay. My prop has a big 17-M on it. Not really sure what that means. I am pretty happy with the performance (quick to plane and top end around 39 mph), but my fuel economy is more like 2.2 - 2.5 at best.