Types of Two Stroke Oil You Run: Any Probs With It?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been buying Yamalube by the case, smoky, but it does the job. Are there any other brands available that you gents like?

hinmo

Reaction score
Sierra Synthetic - no problems yet....early in my ownership...OX66s

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Been using Pennzoil. It is less smoky than Yamaha and it's $20 at AutoZone.
West Marine brand was 2 for 1 for a while....that's $15/gal so I just bought a load of that. Haven't used it yet.

Some guys will tell you to drink the Yamaha Koolaid.

If its TC-W3 its good enough for me.... until I buy some 4 strokes.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I just sold my boat last week but I liked the Evinrude XD 50 oil. It smoked a little on the first start of the morning but virtually nothing the rest of the day.

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I second the Pennzoil. I switched from yamalube 3 years ago on my ox66 engines. They do smoke less and I've seen absolutely no difference in performance. I do save quite a bit as the pennzoil is $synthetic blend is $17 per gallon at Walmart.

Jody

Reaction score
Quicksilver advanced, a friend that rebuilds outboards told me to use it. Less build up on the rings.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Twin 250 Evinrude G2's.................Evinrude XD100 only

Yamalube TCw3 in the old injected OX 66's

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the idea of a full synthetic as I think it burns cleaner. I was originally using the Yamalube when I first got this engine as I knew it was, at the very least, a "safe" choice. As I read more and more, I wasn't concerned about using the Yamaha brand. I started using the Pennzoil full synthetic as I had good access to it at a good price. But since Pennzoil no longer makes it (or at least I can't find it easily), I've been hearing lot's of good things about the Evinrude XD100 (full synthetic) - including what I read on a Yamaha forum (which includes some techs). I'll be switching to that - and it's not that expensive, either.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I only have experience in small outboards and to be honest I don't think it matters.

seasick

Reaction score
I used for several years Penzoil XLF. I used to buy Yamalube. I don't notice any big difference. I do use ringfree

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pennzoil XLF. I've used it for over 20 years in every Yamaha 2 stroke OB I've owned. Never an issue.

$17.99 / gal at Walmart all day long.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have always used Yamalube, if switching to Pennzoil, can I mix the two or run out all the Yamalube and fill with Pennzoil?

Ozz043

Reaction score
Yamalube all the way......why change ? They build a good engine and have the backing for continued lube research...
I’m happy.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Part of the certification requirements to achieve TCW-3 status is mixability. You can go right to Pennzoil (or any other brand) from Yamalube and back with no issues.