Uh--Oh ?

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just put a new transducer on my boat for a new depth finder. It is a transom mount. I had to drill 3 holes. The first two, no big deal, the third hole, water came out. I don`t know why that location had water. About a shot glass full came out then stopped. Does this mean transom problems ?

I got a sick feeling when I saw it. I have no evidence of any issues. No cracks or apparent weak spots. The three holes were drilled left to right and the third hole which was closest to the bottom of the boat had the water come out. I thought maybe being that close to the bottom maybe I drilled into the bilge or something than it`s not a problem The hole is about 2-2.5" from the bottom and it did rain last night. wishful thinking !!!

So without any other info, any recommendations or speculation ?
Should I do anything to investigate farther?

I dried it out as much as possible and installed the transducer per instruction using 5200 to seal the holes and screws.

Thanks

Tom

richie rich

Reaction score
I thought maybe being that close to the bottom maybe I drilled into the bilge or something than it`s not a problem

possibly.....the bigger question is how does the wood look? Was it wet? Were the drill shavings dark? How old is the boat?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
tbyrne said:
I dried it out as much as possible and installed the transducer per instruction using 5200 to seal the holes and screws.

Thanks

Tom

That part worries me. You dried it out as much as possible, but it was still wet (and some of that water wicked into the fiberglass). Now that water is sealed in the transom, which is a bad thing.

The answers to richie rich's questions will give you a clue as to the transom's condition.

How deep did you drill into the transom? If you did drill into the bilge, you have a hole in the bilge that needs to be dried and sealed from the inside too.

If it were me, I'd remove the tranducer and drill out the holes larger. If the wood looks good, I'd give it a few days to dry out, inject them with West System epoxy, let that cure and then reinstall the transducer in the same location, drilling into the epoxy.

no problem

Reaction score
Any water is not good for sure. There's likely water between the hole you drilled and the bottom of the transom. After you follow the previous responses I would also find the point where water gained access and seal it up properly. Try a search of this forum there's lots of information regarding this topic. With year make and model info members could start you in the right direction. Good luck!

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I did see the wood shavings and they were brown, not light brown but not dark like dirt, they appeared dry. I drilled , or tried to drill 7/8" per instructions but may have gone a little farther on that hole. I looked into the access port near the motor and it does appear I could be to either side of a stringer or longitudinal beam. I did not see a hole from that port.

I will remove it and seal it as described.

The boat is a 1985.

I`m not sure if I should be worried or if I have a problem or not. Like I mentioned, the transom and the whole boat seems very solid, not even hair line cracks. I tapped all along the transom and don`t hear any signs of voids or saturation .

I know there could still be something lurking.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming that it is an outboard powered boat, with notched out area for outboard, you'll want to make sure that water isn't entering from the angle molding wrapping around the outside edge of the notched area. Also check your cockpit drain openings/tubes, and any previously installed transducers, or ladders, etc. mounted on transom.
If you only drilled 7/8" deep, I doubt that you went through into the bilge. A good way to test transom core is to remove several screws holding the angle molding and other accessories on transom, and use an ice pick like tool to push into the hole, testing for softness.
Below is a link to a transom rebuild I recently completed on my Grady. Check out the first couple of pages to see how excessive water intrusion can ruin a transom core, without showing many signs of it. Hope yours is not like mine was. Mike
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19949