Unbelievable product

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
I just pulled my boat out of the water today after a season in a slip and the hull had a yellow discoloration. I sprayed Star Bright ez on ez off with a spray bottle and watched it melt away then hose it off. Still can believe believe how well it worked, I have no affiliation with this product just wanted to pass it on. See you next season
George

dbiscayne

Reaction score
It is some good stuff for removing tuff stains. Be sure to wax the boat really good after using as it'll leave the gelcoat unprotected & even more prone to staining.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
It is some good stuff for removing tuff stains. Be sure to wax the boat really good after using as it'll leave the gelcoat unprotected & even more prone to staining.
I didn't know that thanks for the heads up

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's just acid. Toilet bowl cleaner works just as well, but it can be rough on an aluminum trailer. I use the gel type toilet bowl cleaner. It stays in place until I hose it off.

Ditto on the need to wax or polish the hull after using any acid based cleaner.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing... Always good to have more items in the tool box.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's just acid. Toilet bowl cleaner works just as well, but it can be rough on an aluminum trailer. I use the gel type toilet bowl cleaner. It stays in place until I hose it off.

Ditto on the need to wax or polish the hull after using any acid based cleaner.
Hey Doc,
If the trailer has been sprayed with water and then the diluted cleaner is hosed off, will it still affect the aluminum or galvanized parts of a trailer? My hull has some staining and there is no way to avoid some diluted cleaner hitting the trailer. If it will be an issue, what do you suggest?

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hey Doc,
If the trailer has been sprayed with water and then the diluted cleaner is hosed off, will it still affect the aluminum or galvanized parts of a trailer? My hull has some staining and there is no way to avoid some diluted cleaner hitting the trailer. If it will be an issue, what do you suggest?
I just used a plastic spray bottle on fine mist doesn't take much and just hosed everything off

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use toilet bowl cleaner as well. Working in sections I keep the hose handy and immediately spray the trailer if any drips down, as well as constantly rinsing everything.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use toilet bowl cleaner as well. Working in sections I keep the hose handy and immediately spray the trailer if any drips down, as well as constantly rinsing everything.
Does your trailer's finish show any signs of damage or discoloration?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
cover trailer with some scrap cardboard to protect it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just hose down the trailer and keep the hose handy to spray of anything that drips onto it. I don't have any discoloration as yet. The gel stays in place pretty well if you apply it with a synthetic sponge. Wear gloves of course.

I missed a drop of toilet bowl cleaner when I did my skiff. I discovered that a week later after it had eaten a hole completely through the anti-ventilation plate on the motor. It can do a real job on aluminum. Galvanized stuff just gets discolored since strong acids don't corrode steel.

Reactions: Pighunter

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Great info. I wasn't sure if it would harm galvanizing and didn't know it was that agressive to aluminum. I can protect the aluminum parts with plastic, but can't protect the galvanized cross members. I'll cover the aluminum and hose down the galvanized parts I can't cover.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I just hose down the trailer and keep the hose handy to spray of anything that drips onto it. I don't have any discoloration as yet. The gel stays in place pretty well if you apply it with a synthetic sponge. Wear gloves of course.

I missed a drop of toilet bowl cleaner when I did my skiff. I discovered that a week later after it had eaten a hole completely through the anti-ventilation plate on the motor. It can do a real job on aluminum. Galvanized stuff just gets discolored since strong acids don't corrode steel.
This star bright hull cleaner was $25 or so on amazon you put it in a plastic spray bottle on mist spray it on hose it off I don't know about shit bowl cleaner or any of that gooping and sponging it literally took me 10 minutes to do the boat
and I have enough for next 5 yrs no brainier to me but to each his own

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
This star bright hull cleaner was $25 or so on amazon you put it in a plastic spray bottle on mist spray it on hose it off I don't know about shit bowl cleaner or any of that gooping and sponging it literally took me 10 minutes to do the boat
and I have enough for next 5 yrs no brainier to me but to each his own
I used the ez- on ez- off and it was

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trailer damage is not seen right away, but when you see a trailer with a rusty line the length of the fender, where the drip line is, you know they are a user. It will also discolor some bottom paints and decals.
Star Bright ez on ez off contains both hydrochloric and oxalic acids. Star Bright Instant Hull Cleaner contains oxalic acid. Dollar Store toilet bowl cleaners may contain either, and even stronger acids, so it pays to read the active ingredients.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What will it do to concrete? I would assume the concrete needs to be thoroughly wetted also?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When working with any of the strong acids, all materials should be protected regarding concrete or metal. Even Galvanized. It might not look like it did anything, but it show up later on some of these like concrete and Galvanized.
Concrete will hold the water longer than metal, so keep it wet and frequently rinse it off. Cover all the metals to be on the safe side!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You really don't need a strong or concentrated acid to clean a hull except if it has deep rust stains. Barkeeper's Friend is a mild oxalic acid compound with a little abrasive. You can make a paste out of it and sponge it on the hull. Let it sit a few minutes and rinse it off. It doesn't harm metals unless you leaving it in contact for a few hours. The dark color in or on the gel coat is due to tannins from decaying vegetable matter in the water. Tannins dissolve in water rapidly at low pH.

I like the toilet bowl cleaners because they work almost instantly. You can hold a hose in one hand and a sponge or brush in the other and just put the stuff on and wipe it off. It will put holes in concrete unless you flush it fast and extensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbiscayne

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use the spray Bar Keepers Friend. I pick it up at Lowe's. Spray on and let run down the hull, maybe hit it with a wash brush, then hose off.

shopping.jpeg

Reactions: Dhirsh