Under Deck Storage - Adding the access hatch

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've been considering putting in a large access hatch to gain storage where the optional aux fuel tank would go.

I've checked for support beams, wires, etc. and it appears clear.

Any concerns before I make the cuts to install this?

14095030556_9c5534e4f6_z.jpg

lime4x4

Reaction score
I don't see a problem. Where u get the hatch? Been looking at doing something similar

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Are you at all decent at glasswork? If so I would consider cutting out a section of the tank cover and using the cutout piece as the hatch itself. I personally wouldn't want to install an aftermarket hatch that didn't match the color of the boat.

zimm

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Putting hinges on the forward end and a latch at the rear. Doesn't look like it'll raise all the way up, but should be enough for access. Plus it'll look better. I'm nervous to cut the caulk and open it up... You go first! and post pics.

It would be a great spot for my spare prop, fenders, extra life jackets, etc.

Not sure what to do with the screw holes though...

My dad's old Donzi had the same deal- the aux tank cover was turned into a hatch. It was so heavy it didn't need a latch, just a carrige bolt that was installed loosely, so you could pick up the rounded head with your fingernails, lift the bolt up as a handle to lift the hatch.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
zimm said:
I'm nervous to cut the caulk and open it up...

I've had that open several times, first time was when I replaced the holding tank. No big deal to cut the caulking and lift the hatch.

If you're unsure of doing that one, then I would guess you have never done the same to the large hatch that covers your fuel tank. Strongly recommended that you do so, as cleaning the top of the tank and inspecting it are highly recommended. I have done this twice already, and will do it again this year.

Brian

zimm

Reaction score
Good call. The boat is new to me as of last summer. And it's 13 years old.... And it's currently in my driveway getting it ready for the summer, so now's the time.

How do you reseal it? GE outdoor almond caulk? Grady caulk? Put a bead down before setting in the hatch, or after?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
zimm said:
Good call. The boat is new to me as of last summer. And it's 13 years old.... And it's currently in my driveway getting it ready for the summer, so now's the time.

How do you reseal it? GE outdoor almond caulk? Grady caulk? Put a bead down before setting in the hatch, or after?

Cut the caulk very carefully with a razor knife..I mean careful I about lost my finger with a dull knife this spring..two surgerys and lots of physical therapy, it will never be the same..okay I digress

Cut, remove old caulk (acetone) cleans it up nicely, to get the last bits. Once done, boat life products, I've heard of the GE almond, I like the 4000uv since my decks are faded. Put lid down, I caulk in the screw holes, then screw down. Tape the edges and run your caulk, remember to push the caulk gun instead of dragging and let the gun do the work smoothing the bead.

Also see this..buddy did an amazing job.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20161

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
And here is another suggestion.

After you get the hatch back in place, and screwed down, lay an endless loop of braided dacron (about 1/8" diameter) down into the groove, before you caulk.

The next time you need to remove the hatch, you just remove the screws, dig down to get a good grip on the line, and then pull it up to break the caulking seal from below. You can also use 400# mono, with a crimp to make the endless loop.

Brian

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Old thread but has anyone put a hinged access hatch where the Aux tank would be yet? Would like to see pics. Tons of storage down there!

OMER

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Im interested in this as well. I think the main concern is flooding the bilge. Would need some sore of gutter fabbed in like the factories do it. I might make this a winter project. Maybe fabricate an entire fish box style set up and plumb it to a through hull.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im interested in this as well. I think the main concern is flooding the bilge. Would need some sore of gutter fabbed in like the factories do it. I might make this a winter project. Maybe fabricate an entire fish box style set up and plumb it to a through hull.

My boat has a hard top So this area is very dry. So I’m not concerned about flooding unless I take a hose to the hatch but it would leak a bit. I keep my boat on a trailer also so I think it will drain to the rear bilge but correct me if I’m wrong.

The gutters sound interesting but Won’t they hold water as well and then overflow into the compartment?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes Drifter,

Front coffin drains to rear coffin which drains to bilge.

Good to go!

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
My boat has a hard top So this area is very dry. So I’m not concerned about flooding unless I take a hose to the hatch but it would leak a bit. I keep my boat on a trailer also so I think it will drain to the rear bilge but correct me if I’m wrong.

The gutters sound interesting but Won’t they hold water as well and then overflow into the compartment?
The gutter has a drain molded in that would be plumbed to a through hull. Im sure some water would over flow if it was exscessive but the box itself would be plumbed too.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
The gutter has a drain molded in that would be plumbed to a through hull. Im sure some water would over flow if it was exscessive but the box itself would be plumbed too.
My 228 has floor/deck drains in front of the helm seats and water splashes up through them in moderate rolling so I think you'll need a major macerate pump with check valve if you want that area to drain overboard. I'd like to hinge the whole hatch lengthwise but the pilot seats will interfere so perhaps sideways could work.