Understanding Battery Charging

moccq

Reaction score
I have an '05 226 Seafarer with an F250, dual batteries. I see a few references to "charging system" in manuals etc but not much detail relating to functionality, eg. how it works....anyone out there have some detail to share ? ( Is the F250 basically like a auto , eg charges both batts while underway ?

Should I be investing in battery charger for at the dock (e.g. DualPro, Guest, type chargers ) or is regular usage enough to keep the batt's in functional shape

Thanks in advance..

moccq

Reaction score
Found the below entry after submiting my post..it is very helpful..

Would still be interested in anyones inputs and information..

Existing post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9808

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yamahas from 150 hp up can use an optional auxiliary charging cable. This allows both batteries to be charged while the switch is in the #1 position, yet prevents one battery from discharging the other. It accomplishes the same function as a battery isolator and its built right into the engine.

If your boat doesn't have one of these, you should consider getting one. They cost about $70. You'll never have to worry about switching between batteries except in an emergency.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '00 228 is set up with a battery switch. The engine only charges the battery that is selected (unless BOTH is selected).

I typically set the switch on battery #1 on the way out and switch to battery #2 on the way back in. I never leave the switch on BOTH. This works well for me to keep both batteries charged.

I've thought about installing a battery charger that will charge both batteries at once. This would be useful during the winter months when I'm on the boat a lot less.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I use a Pulse Tech Xtreme 2 bank charger on my 2008 Tournamnet 225 when the boat is sitting. Believe it or not I am still on my original Deka batteries and my boat was one of the first 2008s built in Oct 2007. This is the best charger I have ever used and their pulse technology keeps the plates from gunking up. I bought them @ Battery Stuff.com and highly recommend them. The charger is not water proof but it comes with plug in connectors to each battery so you can remove it in nothing flat. I also have one for my Bass Tracker that charges the starting battery and the trolling motor deep cycle battery simultaneously. I leave them connected to both boats all winter and every minute the boats are not being used in the summers. I never have to take the batteries off the boats.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When my guest charger on my sailfish went out 5-6 years ago, I waited a few years and ended up replacing it with a Minn Kota 3 bank charger. It works great and keeps the batteries in good shape. I no longer remove the batteries from the boat in the winter and just periodically run the charger. The charger is connected to shore power. Was a easy install.