Underwater lights

Reaction score
Hello All. New 330 express owner here. I'm looking for advise on underwater lights. Has anyone done this to a 330. The transom is too tight for 2 on the ends using flush mounts. Also, any input on ocean led's vs. metal halide would be appreciated. thanks. :D

seabob4

Reaction score
Ocean LEDs are an excellent light, especially their t/hull versions. NO metal halides, stick with LEDs. Check out Abyss out of Lauderdale. Surface mounts are the way to go an an already built boat. 3 on each side of the keel and you'll have baitfish, and then dinner, off your transom in 2 minutes.

Attwood has a new surface mount I should be checking out soon. Let you know how that goes. Contact me with any questions.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you want it done right expect to pay close to $1,000 a light plus installation, good lights that will not shine as well will still cost you about $600 a light, anything cheaper then that is not built well or sticks out of the transom and will not be installed as a proper underwster light should be. I looked into the ones that stick out and none are that great, perko and other brands have cheaper plastic ones, but who wants plastic below the water, especially if it will be getting hot, water cools it but not enough. Stick with LED's, they are brighter and will draw less amps which is necessary for a boat your size, even if you run a generator. We use Ocean LED's at work and have not had any issues after installing them on hundred's of boats. Installing them on a finished boat has no effect here, we install them after the hull is out of the mold so it is no different then doing it on a boat that is a few years old or already finished. I've heard Abyss lights are good as well but have no experience with them. Sea Vision is the other big producer of underwater LED lights with a good rep, but I have not had much experience with them either. I'd recommend 3 lights, one to the outside of each engine on the transom, and one between the engines, unless you buy a high end light, some can actually be mounted on the hull bottom and used while running, I'd then move one to the bottom between the engines to shine down, but some fear having a hole on the running surface, if installed correctly there is nothing to fear, does a thru hull transducer scare ya, it is esentially the same thing. Let us know what you decide and show us some picks. I plan to install Ocean LED's on my 265 express at some point either this winter or the winter after for sure, we will see how my budget fairs after adding an autopilot and purchasing a new Epirb, along with a few other toys.

seabob4

Reaction score
Gradyfish,
We actually use Aqualuma for our factory installs. Out of AUS. Poly-carbonate lenses. What's your line of work?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm a naval architect for a large sportfish builder, we've talked with many vendor's and our electronics outfit decided Ocean LED was the best choice for our applications, we need to satisfy very high expectancy's from client's and experience little or no issues with the product, so far we have had no complaints or issues at all. As LED underwater lights gain popularity, which they really have, you will see more companies using them and more companies producing them, as well as prices slowly becoming more affordable for the common boater. I recommend going with a product froma brand that is trusted and has a good reputation for their products, even if it costs a few more bucks, usually you get what you pay for. As I mentioned above there are many great brands out there, I'd stick to those brands unless another can sell you and make you feel comfortable enough putting their product behind your boat.

seabob4

Reaction score
Work for a fish boat builder down here in Florida. What we do is to get samples from the vendors, install them in a fiberglass tub to simulate where they will live, then power up and leave on 24/7. Ocean LED and Aqualuma have been the only ones that have stood up to their claims. I am about to test the new Attwood surface mount this coming week. The biggest problem with Ocean LED is not the product itself, but the hardware rep for CoMar, the company Ocean LED sells through. A real PITA. But an excellent light, none the less.

So you're not close to Viking, not close to Egg Harbor or Post...which Sportfish builder? I'm a production engineer for ProLine. We take what you guys give us and figure out how to build it! Have a good one.

tony-sally

Reaction score
Take a look at my photo section
33 grady SALLY ANN fourth page
in this fourm. I installed 3 abyss
LED lights they work great if you
have any ? PM me on this site

TONY. 33GRADY. SALLY ANN

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replys. So I'm leaning towards the Ocean led's, They seem to be the latest and the greatest. Grady fish, I'm expecting to pay more than $1000.00 per light. The challange in the install is that there is no room inside to mount the flush mounted type on the ends of the transom. I could go with surface mounts for these spots but I'm not wild about external wires comming up the transom. I do have room for a very large flush mount between the motors. I was thinking of doing one there and two inside the bilge facing down and about 21 degrees out as that is the angle of the deadrise. I'm not afraid to mess with the running surface as there is already a gi-normous hole there for the 1 kw ducer.
Tony, Great rig! Nice pictures. Unless I missed it, I didn't see pics of the underwater lights. How did you do the install? I also like the A.C. spreaders you added. I'm thinking of doing those also. Why did you mount them facing aft rather than on the sides? Does the battery charger put out enough amps or did you add a second charger?
Sea Bob, I'll check out the aqualuma.
So I guess one thing is metal hallide is becomming a thing of the past.
I'll post some pictures of the new rig this week. I do love my Yammy 350's. Oh yeah and my wife too.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dot Calm, there are some surface mount LED's that do not go thru the hull, but do use a pilot hole in the transom to run the wires inside the boat, they usually stick out about 1/2"-3/4" off the transom which is not bad and that would eliminate wires running on the outside of the transom and into the splash well, I can understand where you would not want that for both looks and the fact that they could get grabbed and pulled by accident leaving those lights worthless. Check out the Ocean LED thru hull series, they should be able to fit on your boat and will put a smaller hole in the transom. These would not be good for the running surface, just the transom, on the running surface you will need true flush mount lights so that water passes over a flat surface and does not create turbulance in the water.

tony-sally

Reaction score
Dot Calm
their is 4 pages of photos page4
has pics of lights on in water
I have other pics of installation
with boat out of water if your
interested. Also 110 volt spreader
lights run off genset when I'am
off shore their 250 watts each
light up sides and cockpip real
well.the abyss lights only needs
a1/4 inch hole for wire to pass
thru transom the 2 outside lights
are white spots and a large
blue 6inch inbetween the engines
the white and blue are switched
seperatally.
Tony[/img]

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/user/leejsavage

Check out that link, that user on youtube has a few video's of various boats with ocean LED's so you can see what various models look like on an actual boat, each video tells you the size of the boat and the model of the lights installed. I forgot to ask, what color are you going with, blue would be my recommendation, I've seen it work better then green and white so far.

seabob4

Reaction score
Definitely blue, or green, but not white. White brings out the silt and crap in the water. Surface mounts will get your price down considerably, and they only require a 1/4" hole in the transom to pass the wires through. However, I've yet to find one that will live up to it's 40-50,000 hour bulb life, as they maintain. Ocean LED and Aqualuma are the only 2 that have met their stated claims. PM me, and I'll see what I can do about that "$1G per light" price.

Reaction score
Sorry Tony, I got it now. Nice lights. Are the pilot holes above or below the water line? I was asking about the charger because of the underwater lights not the spreaders. I read somewhere that the charger barely handles the load before add ons. It doesn't sound as though it's been a problem for you though. That's good.
Gradyfish, thanks for the link.
Sea Bob, I thought I read somewhere that the green was better for fresh water and blue or white was for salt. Supposedly the white is brighter but the blue actually travels further due to the way the light is refracted or something like that in the ocean. I'll P.M. you about the costs.
Anyone seen the ocean led super nova?
And by the way does anyone have an opinion if given a choice, are they more effective facing down on the running surface or outward on the transom. i know they definately look way cool on the transom.
Thank again everybody, you guys are great.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure if this is relevenat or not;

A friend has a three year old large sportfisherman with two powerful white underwater lights mounted to his transom (he does not have any mounted under the boat). Not sure what brand or what type but they certainly get the bait attracted to the boat in a hurry. If you only mounted them to the bottom of the boat, I think you would not get the results you want. I have found the transom underwater mounted lights attract small fish, squid, mahi, etc. We net squid (and other small baits) easily with the help from the underwater lights. On the other boats I have fished on in the past, we never could see all the bait (and other life) so easily, regardless of what kind or ho many overhead lights they had.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CaptKennyW said:
Here are some that dont cost 1000's of bucks and work just as well.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/

I bought from Chris the white lights to try them on my skiff first(They are the "first generation"). I went squiding with them with unbelievable results. They also attract bait fish. I will order three for my Grady, he also said he is going to have something for spreader lights.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just buy blue or green, not white, yes all underwater lights bring bait in but blue and green will out produce blue anyday, blue will calm the fish the most but yet bring them to the top quickly. I've seen Chris's lights on a buddies boat, they shine good but not great compared to the high end lights, just really depends how much time you will spend using them. Only fear I have is that if they fail a big company you can sue and go after, Chris and his business will just be closed and you will not have a company that is fully liable. Just my thoughts, I know his lights are not supposed to harm the boat and will burn themselves out not the wires and such, but I've heard other guys say the same and the heard horror stories about them. I have not heard anything bad about Chris's yet, but to me the extra money is worth it, the high end lights really shine better and further off the transom as well as the Ocean LED's having a different cooling method where they do not overheat and can even be run while underway and out of the water, others cannot and will overheat and either burn out or set your boat on fire from the heat. I guess it really comes down to how much you really want to spend and how much light you really want. BTW, we just installed Abyss lights on a boat, special request from a buyer and after seeing them, I'd stick with Ocean LED's, the Abyss lights were decent and better then some brands I've seen but not as bright as Ocean LED., The beam off the Abyss lights were more noticable also, the light did not spread out as well over a large distance.

busterblue

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do mine- cpl ?s

Has anyone used or seen the Dr. LED either "Dave" -surface mount, or "Neptune" -thru hull.

Nothing Else. - which coastal lights did you get ? single, dbl long, dbl wide? where did you mount them. I want them primarily for squiding. I have a 252g (bracket mounted twins).

Thanks
BB