Unreliable Autopilot

dale1

Reaction score
My current autopilot is unreliable. getting my autopilot to work at my level of expectation can be more problem and hassle than what is worth. all i want is for a little time away from the helm to get a beverage, or 2, maybe a snack, or take a leak. I'm not asking for anything big like docking. I just want a little help with the trip to and from the fishing spot, especially when I'm tired from fishing and beverages. My autopilot gives a lot of negative feedback, mainly audible. Often the performance of my autopilot is very-poor. Lots of swerving. I've seen it "almost 180 degrees" off-course. Once I tried to make a verbal correction, my autopilot stopped working all together.

I'm grateful for my current autopilot. She is a nice, and a "very-pretty" addition to my boat. I don't want a replacement, I just want an additional unit to supplement what i have already. My existing autopilot doesn't think she needs a replacement or that we need to invest in the upgrade.

So, please help me explain to my existing autopilot that this is not a replacement, but it would be helpful, and worth the money.

Dale
265 Grady White Express

Reactions: wspitler

bc282

Reaction score
dale, what pilot do you currently have?
i love my pilot (its not perfect) but i'm satisfied with my Garmin GHP10.
If doing all over again, i''d probably go with a Furuno pilot as i'm a fan of furuno but at the time theirs did not have a virtual rudder.

here's some Major Pros that i find with Garmin:
- the inherent safety of shadow drive, no other AP has such feature yet that i know
- pretty easy to operate
- remote is a bit bulky but i like it and use it a ton
- other than pump issues, unit has been dependable

Some major Cons of the Garmin:
- my "-01" newer style 2.1L pump is not maintenace free, you have to clean the brushes (should probably do once a season or at least every other for reliablity) {on my third pump, fingers crossed}
- either it can't or i haven't figured it out how, but the control head can't be dimmed at night and unless you cover it, it will kill your night vision
- unit's heading sensor is not linked to your GPS signal such that when in a circle pattern or similar you will not make perfect circles especially with wind and currents--you can actually in a slow troll get snap turned while executing a turn on pilot :jaw
- PITA to switch RPM engine signal feeds, you can select both engines, starboard or port but not either or star or port and will raise an alarm if you run the wrong selected engine if running single on a twin setup.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bc282,
I think you might want to read dale's post again. A key issue went right over your head! :D

Dale, I think you need to show auto pilot #1 what she is missing while occupied by driving so that she sees the need and doesn't feel threatened by auto pilot #2.
Good luck!

Reactions: ScottyCee

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
family affair said:
Dale, I think you need to show auto pilot #1 what she is missing while occupied by driving so that she sees the need and doesn't feel threatened by auto pilot #2.
Good luck!

Hmmm..... Isn't that a little.... Dangerous? I mean, what if the seas get rough? :lol:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I forgot to mention auto pilot #2 must be a machine to minimize the potential for conflict.

bc282

Reaction score
hahahahaha, it did fly over my head :<>< :<>< :<>< :dance :dance
can't say anything about your admiral but if she can drive a car, i think she can learn to drive a boat.
maybe not parallel park, but keep the boat headed in a safe direction towards destination.
could just stop and enjoy a gentle drift, take a pee, make a sandwich . . . whats the rush?

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
hahahahaha, it did fly over my head :<>< :<>< :<>< :dance :dance
can't say anything about your admiral but if she can drive a car, i think she can learn to drive a boat.
maybe not parallel park, but keep the boat headed in a safe direction towards destination.
could just stop and enjoy a gentle drift, take a pee, make a sandwich . . . whats the rush?
Do you know of anyone that wants to sell their 265 Express? Been looking for a wile now. Let me know, thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
IDK. Probably will get ripped, but I have no need or desire for an AP. I want to be driving my boat. Don't care about the position that driving is to the canyons is too long. I just pass the wheel if needed. Ensures everyone can follow a course.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
IDK. Probably will get ripped, but I have no need or desire for an AP. I want to be driving my boat. Don't care about the position that driving is to the canyons is too long. I just pass the wheel if needed. Ensures everyone can follow a course.
Try reading the post from Dale again .

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Picture of autopilot? 8^)
I agree with Scotty. If we had a picture of the AP you are considering, we could make better suggestions and be able to give you a better evaluation of the chances that AP#1 will have a negative reaction to the AP change.