Updates

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, so I noticed the vhf was in good condition, but needed an update. To this end, found a Simrad RS35 for 171 bucks. Added a Simrad Micro-C backbone kit for 60 bucks. Plan to install the older vhf into the electronics box as a backup and tuned to channel 16. The new one will be tied into the Garmin for gps sharing.

Also about to order a GPS antenna and a Sirius antenna as well as a second VHF antenna, just deciding on which ones.

The new top place will install all support plates for future additions, like outriggers, as well as all the equipment I bring them.

R

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Did the previous owner have an MMSI assigned to the vessel? If so, you need to:
1. get into the database from the issuing agency and update all of the pertinent owner, location and contact info
2. enter that MMSI in your new VHF

If no previous MMSI, then you need to get one yourself, get the database populated with the pertinent info, and get that MMSI entered into all VHF radios that have that capability.

If all this is new and the background reason not known, then https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Brian

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All good points and I planned to get that info as soon as we get it shipped. I just am trying not to bug the guy too much since he is bending over backwards to accomodate the change in plans and repairing the trailer heh.

But, it is all on my draft email of info to obtain next week:)

Ty!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Did the previous owner have an MMSI assigned to the vessel? If so, you need to:
1. get into the database from the issuing agency and update all of the pertinent owner, location and contact info
2. enter that MMSI in your new VHF

If no previous MMSI, then you need to get one yourself, get the database populated with the pertinent info, and get that MMSI entered into all VHF radios that have that capability.

If all this is new and the background reason not known, then https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

Brian
The PO needs to release the MMSI# in order for you to change the info on the existing one. (I had to when I sold mine)
Most VHFs allow only 2 entries(i.e. you get only one chance to enter second one) of MMSI#.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
gotcha. I will ask him about it the moment it is ready to ship.

R

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For that second VHF antennae, I'm partial to Digital brand. I've had good luck with their quality and I like their mini connectors. Personally (and this is highly debatable) I prefer the 4'L, 4.5db gain antennae on top of my T-top. I feel like it provides pretty good height but a not-too-narrowly focused beam on those days when the boat is rockin and I'm trying to talk with some one nearby.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree on the Digital. I had an 8' antenna (528 I believe). I swapped out last year with the new 529VHF model. When the boat was shrinkwrapped it would bang off the hardtop during the winter months. After 13 seasons, it was chipped up and spider cracking in the contact area. I figured time to replace. This year I use a pool noodle with a center hole and slid it over the antenna before wrapping. The best thing are the gold plated connectors on each end. Makes replacement easy.
Check out BOE Marine.