updating software and data on Garmin 3210

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
I have just taken ownership of a 2006 GW 209 that has a Garmin 3210 GPS. I have brought it up from South Carolina, am on North Fork of LI. I have to think software for this has changed over the last 4-5 years; how do I update software, and do I need also to get additional data cards for charts? Clueless in LI.
Thanks
B

seasick

Reaction score
Barrettkatz said:
I have just taken ownership of a 2006 GW 209 that has a Garmin 3210 GPS. I have brought it up from South Carolina, am on North Fork of LI. I have to think software for this has changed over the last 4-5 years; how do I update software, and do I need also to get additional data cards for charts? Clueless in LI.
Thanks
B
Start at the Garmin site http:
//www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1415

You may need a special cable or chip to do the download. It depends on the model. If you use the cable, the unit needs to be powered during the update. If a chip, you need the appropriate reader/writer device for the chip.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can update the 3210 in one of two ways. First is the "Garmin marine data management kit" which includes a blank Bluechart and a Bluechart card reader/USB cable. The update is downloaded from Garmin's website onto the Bluechart. Put the Bluechart in and power up the unit. The screen will show the progress as the update loads.

The 3210 had built in coastal charts. These are several years old and no way to update them. And, if I recall, Garmin stopped updating the Bluecharts as well, as this unit (along with the 30xx, 20xx, 22xx, 49x) have all been discontinued. That's not a knock...the 3210 is an excellent unit. Just keep in mind that the charts, while relatively accurate, may not be completely accurate.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
I have a 3210 on my Pacemaker. Not much has changed at all and I'll show you all you need to know for the area.

That being said, I did update the software last year to get the clock to read the correct time. Garmin will loan you the card to do the update. You need to give them a deposit as well as pay shipping (I think it was one way paid by them).

seasick

Reaction score
2 years or so ago, even though my 492 chartplotter was no longer supported and there were no updates, Garmin issued a firmware update for the new daylight savings schedule. That was pretty cool I thought.