Updating stereo on boat 228

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just thinking outloud... and maybe someone who's more "in tune" with this stuff than me can clarify... when you tested them, you tested in the "free air"? If so, I can see why there would be a difference in bass. However, once you put them in a container, will the difference still be noticeable? Maybe not at all? Maybe the Polk's turn out to have more base when inside the container?
Dennis, I tested them both free air in my hands. Not a scientific test of any kind. I still need to make bigger pods and 3d print difference speaker rings to accommodate. But all will be in sealed boxes. It's going to be hard to do any serious before/after tests with my system since I'm adding all-new everything except the head unit (including a sub that I never had previously). But I can tell now with the old speakers (currently installed) that, as the experts say, an A/B amp is much more clear than a Digital amp.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those speakers in the fish box inspection ports are directly under the waterfall from the walkaround, and the box gutters, from washing the boat, rain, or heavy spray. Any long term results?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those speakers in the fish box inspection ports are directly under the waterfall from the walkaround, and the box gutters, from washing the boat, rain, or heavy spray. Any long term results?
I had them on my last boat. Easy install but ya they get drenched with salt water and fresh. As soon as the silicone seal fails between speaker and boat the back gets doused. If you have a true marine speaker w/ plastic basket and cover the terminals with dielectric grease you can get a few more years out of them. They also get kicked. Might not want to put your top dollar speaker down there. I had some Pyles there for 3 years and they still work.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I thought about that when I was installing them. I just couldn't bring myself to cut 6" holes in my new (15 yr old) boat. Hopefully the $90 set of speakers will last a few yrs and the replacements will cost only $100. On the other hand if they only last 6 months the replacements will cost $300.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just installed a pair of Skar SK8M in my Gulfstream paired with their 4 channel 500w amp. I mounted them in the back as you can see in the picture. Paired with my 6.5JLs up at the helm in the factory spot and I am very pleased with the setup.

Attachments

• F0C77D70-2FEA-44E5-BEA0-5FBA35454B87.jpeg
    F0C77D70-2FEA-44E5-BEA0-5FBA35454B87.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • D0C30C98-FA15-41C2-9A32-88C76BF0487E.jpeg
    D0C30C98-FA15-41C2-9A32-88C76BF0487E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On my last 2 GW Sailfish and previous Explorer 24, I installed down-firing speakers mounted under the gunnels. Not the same, but similar to these speakers. You could even pair up 2 under each gunnel, as I think the were 8 ohms, and the stereo amp could handle 4 to 8 ohm speakers. Just a thought.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Fusion 4 and 6" speakers fit into the GW factory holes perfectly. You can even use the existing speaker wires as the end connections are the same as the Kenwoods. I did the fusion head, remote and (3) sets of speakers (cabin, helm and cut two in the cockpit). I was going to do a sub but to be honest, the system is perfect for my needs with the six speakers. You can set up zones on the Fusion so you can independently set the volume level and then with one volume control, control all three zones.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Late to the party. I used to be into car audio a little bit and realized a few boats ago that you’re fighting a losing battle for sound quality due to the lack of good placement for soundstage and for the need to build enclosures (don’t know if many good free air coaxial or component speakers/subs).

I replaced the stock speakers once and since then have switched to a waterproof Bluetooth speaker. I use my phone for music (Spotify) so it’s easy to control and I don’t need to worry about another hole in my dash for the head unit. I was initially skeptical but the sound quality and battery life on the speakers (18 hrs at medium volume with 50% left) have come a very long way. I ended up getting a Soundcore Motion Boom on Amazon for about $80; there is also the Motion Plus which has better SQ but not as much bass/max volume. You can also pair two speakers of the same model to increase the total output and put one in the helm area and one in the cockpit.

Another advantage of a portable speaker is being able to manipulate the soundstage as you can physically reposition the speaker to wherever sounds the best.

I’m amazed at some of the installs other members have done and in absolute terms the quality of their speakers cannot be matched by the portable bluetooth model I have. With a permanent install you do get a cleaner final product and do have a ton of options so if you’re into tinkering you can have a fun project to modify as much as you want.

However, for $80 or less the Bluetooth speaker is a relatively cheap investment that can repurposed if not sufficient for your boating needs.

Reactions: jbloom

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I ordered my system yesterday. Based on measurements I think 7.7 JL or Fusion coax speakers will fit in the hole for the inspection plates . I got the standard grills to protect the cones from puncture. I bought the JLs and I bought ,two 6.5 JLs Vex style speakers and will add their surface mount kit abd either mouth to the hard top up front or under the sides in the front cockpit. I bought a Fusion Apollo MS RA 670 head unit to drive it all. I am not installing a sub . I want a nice sounding system not necessarily a great one . .

My current Alpine is in a gimbal over head and I hope to just swap it out . I may replace the gimbal with another one . Anyone have an Apollo unit mounted in a gimbal ?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ordered my system yesterday. Based on measurements I think 7.7 JL or Fusion coax speakers will fit in the hole for the inspection plates . I got the standard grills to protect the cones from puncture. I bought the JLs and I bought ,two 6.5 JLs Vex style speakers and will add their surface mount kit abd either mouth to the hard top up front or under the sides in the front cockpit. I bought a Fusion Apollo MS RA 670 head unit to drive it all. I am not installing a sub . I want a nice sounding system not necessarily a great one . .

My current Alpine is in a gimbal over head and I hope to just swap it out . I may replace the gimbal with another one . Anyone have an Apollo unit mounted in a gimbal ?
Wow, sounds like a great system. Let us know how she sounds and of course post pics!

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
8AFFB323-5928-4FFD-89D3-24735AB9FC3B.jpegGot my SKAR Audio 6.5" installed firing down at my head from hardtop, new marine wires and bigger amp, makes them all sound very nice. The low-profile sub is OK, better low end sound but not much thump. So I bought a 10" Fusion sub that an owner here showed me fits in the inspection plate under the passenger seat.

On it's way: https://amzn.to/3rRx7Kr

Going to use the 4 awg windlass wire to split off to 2 amps vs adding another 8 AWG wire... Well it's an option. Already bought the Blue seas power post to do it right. I never use both at the same time anyway.

Brocals sub, proof that I can be done. :)
C8005669-75E3-408F-8944-795B739681CC.jpeg

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Guys:
I got all my parts. I am going with a Fusion Apollo M690 hide away unit, 7.7 JL audio coax speakers for the inspection ports, JL Vex pods for the cockpit and ,Garmin GXM 54 XM sat receiver. The fusion has a built in class D amp with total output of 70 watts per channel at 280 watts total. At the moment I am not adding an additional amp. We will see after we get installed and fired up.

I am taking the boat to Fla and my fishing mate Ben and I along with my son Cole will be doing the install on Friday, March 25. I will take pics of the install as we go along . I am so stoked.

Reactions: jbloom

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Looking forward to seeing pics. Assuming you mean the 7.7's are going in the cockpit inspection ports facing back, I'll be interested to hear how they fit and sound. No Sub? I'm looking for a sub that will fit in the inspection / pump access port under the copilot seat.
Good luck on your trip, I just booked a month in Big Pine Key starting April 10th.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Size is the issue. How big were your poly planers? Little speakers sound tiny and little, sound like noise at cruise. Bigger speakers will always sound more natural. BTW I used the same holes for my rear poly brackets hang my bigger SKARs. So no new holes in hard top. You put on the Burwins instead fo drilling for your scotty swivels right?

My post was mainly directed at the OP who wanted to build out his stereo. Always a topic I think is important on a boat!

Looking forward to seeing pics. Assuming you mean the 7.7's are going in the cockpit inspection ports facing back, I'll be interested to hear how they fit and sound. No Sub? I'm looking for a sub that will fit in the inspection / pump access port under the copilot seat.
Good luck on your trip, I just booked a month in Big Pine Key starting April 10th.
No,no sub. I want one but just can't figure out where . If I was say 28 and single , a sub is must to impress the ladies at the sandbar or the nearby wake boat. Ever notice dudes in wake boats have like a 3 to 1 ratio of ladies to dudes? Why is that you ask? Scientific evidence says sub woofers. I told my wife if I install a sub woofer there will be random ladies just showing up on the boat. So, no sub woofer for me.

Reactions: Olyfishin

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I'm sort of in the opposite situation, I ditched the old lady a few years ago, now my new GF wants better tunes. Also, out at dinner a few weeks ago the only question her friend had about the boat was if it have good tunes so there you go. The X wouldn't have known what a sub was and doubt I'd have told her anyway, especially if they're chick magnets like you say.

I have a couple of those Bose bluetooth cubes and a JBL that are nice when the motor is off but they're barely enough when trolling. They hardly use any power so I'll still intend to use them when the boat isn't running or I'm not at the sand bar...

My brother put a sub in his boat and the sound difference is like night and day but you still can't hear it when the boat is running. For me the best solution when running any distance is a good set of over the ear noise canceling headphones. If you haven't tried it you'll be amazed.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I'm sort of in the opposite situation, I ditched the old lady a few years ago, now my new GF wants better tunes. Also, out at dinner a few weeks ago the only question her friend had about the boat was if it have good tunes so there you go. The X wouldn't have known what a sub was and doubt I'd have told her anyway, especially if they're chick magnets like you say.

I have a couple of those Bose bluetooth cubes and a JBL that are nice when the motor is off but they're barely enough when trolling. They hardly use any power so I'll still intend to use them when the boat isn't running or I'm not at the sand bar...

My brother put a sub in his boat and the sound difference is like night and day but you still can't hear it when the boat is running. For me the best solution when running any distance is a good set of over the ear noise canceling headphones. If you haven't tried it you'll be amazed.
When I had COVID and was in the hospital my Bose noise cancelling headphones were the thing that allowed me to get a modicum of rest .
Actually I don't think my wife would care about the sub , I am sort of at my own limit or tolerance here for spending money on a boat stereo . . The other reason those dudes in wake boats have a 3:1 girl to dude ratio is they all look like bathing suit models with their six pack abs and teeth ,boy the teeth on wake borders is amazing . .

Here is one thing though. I don't crank it loud when running for a reason. You get to know the sound of your motor and such when you're cruising especially in the ocean.. the engine sound and a sudden change in it can alert you to an issue if you're not always eyeballing the gauges. I like hearing my tunes but I also pay attention to the sound of the motor too.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In 40 years of owning boats, the only one I remember having a stereo was a 30 foot Sundancer, with one down in the cabin, and no speakers on deck. My current SF came with an old Clarion in the Ebox, and I took it out to make more room. It still has Bose speakers under the gunnels, so I just picked up a replacement head, since gas prices will probably have me doing more bottom fishing than trolling this year.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
In 40 years of owning boats, the only one I remember having a stereo was a 30 foot Sundancer, with one down in the cabin, and no speakers on deck. My current SF came with an old Clarion in the Ebox, and I took it out to make more room. It still has Bose speakers under the gunnels, so I just picked up a replacement head, since gas prices will probably have me doing more bottom fishing than trolling this year.
I love music . I really like it trolling for dolphin.