Upgrade: fishing and family?

Ben Heiser

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We bought our 97 208 with the original Merc to get into boating. We wanted a top tier boat that could get us started to see how we would use it. If we loved this boat a repower is in order....or, we move it and upgrade.

So as we have been learning about boating we know 2 things:

1. I like Striper fishing and crabbing. Always did but more now on my own boat even more.

2. We like just anchoring up and swimming with the boys (now 6 and 2) and even try to bring some friends.

Wife has now stated “We need more people capacity”. 4 adults and 2 little kids seem to be about the limit comfortably, and I think 8 people would be best. She is enjoying it...but I like the 208. So far, she has no interests in overnights.

The best fishing/family compromise is a 22-27ft Freedom/Tournament. Seems the space of a bow rider, all of the fishing needs and a Grady.

Anyone come to the same decision point and have any thoughts?

Attachments

• 71026265-E43D-4A9F-A3D8-0E8C71F393E9.jpeg
    71026265-E43D-4A9F-A3D8-0E8C71F393E9.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Went through a similar decision process ... 65% sandbar/cruising and 35% fishing. Really liked the versatility of the 251 Coastal Explorer and became an owner of a used 2014 back in Feb. Liked the Fisherman and Freedom models as well for this duality or purpose.

After 8 years of dual console ownership, I was worried that the Center Console (CC) format would adversely impact the cocktail and coastal crushing function. My worries that the CC would reduce crushing usability were overblown.

I think the GW dual console or CC formats would work well for your objectives, since overnighting is not a requirement.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 208 and another non-Grady 25 foot walkaround. We do not overnight. We pleasure cruise, take a dip, eat lunch. I do fish with buddies ( at least I did till Covid)
I have been looking at newer boat model and everytime I think I would like a bow rider, when I see the smaller models (25 and under) my wife says the same thing: The head is too small, I like a boat with a cabin that I has room to change my clothes. I want a cabin/head that I can stand up in ( she is quite petite).
When I see the bowriders, I understand. Unless you are looking at over 25 foot models, the head area is just too small. In addition, many of the various models o DCs ( Grady and non-Grady) do not have windows in the head. I like to air that area out and cool it off.
At this stage of my life, I don't think I want to go bigger than 25 feet and the Gulfstream is kind of appealing except for one concern. The Gulfstream has a nice rear platform but does not have a transom door. To get to the platform, you have to slide your butt over the pretty deep aft fishbox/livewell. Both of us are not getting any younger.

Now back to the original question. If taking the kids out and adults is a big factor, the Freedom is a good choice UNLESS your kids like to go below for a nap..

dainlaroche

Reaction score
We’ve had both DC and CC boats, the latest a Grady 209. We found the CC was more open and flexible four our family of 4 plus another family of 4.

mhff34

Reaction score
My first boat was a 208 then a 272 and now a 232, all cabin boats. As stated above it's nice to have a decent head, a place to nap but especially a place to change. After a swim I'm in the cabin changing into dry clothes.

I think getting something large then the 208 would be a huge upgrade not only in room but handling. A 27' boat, on the other hand is a different animal. More systems more maintenance and stuff to break. Difficult if you have to trailer or launch solo.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Our walkaround Overnighter is a far superior fishing boat to our previous boat, a 19’ Bayliner Capri bowrider. Both boats had their pluses and minuses.
My wife and daughter greatly miss the comfort and fun riding in the Bayliners bow though my wife likes to go below on the Grady to take a nap and they both like to get out of the weather there too.
the cabins privacy is good for changing and of course the portapot. The Grady’s high bow takes big water much better.
The Bayliner had overall better seating front to back, it comfort level for cruising was much better.
sometimes I think the open bowrider Grady may have been a better choice but the cabin takes a slight edge for practicality.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady