Upgrade Hydraulic Trim taps or swap to electric?

Miflinite

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
A boat I am restoring has the original Bennett Hydraulic trim tab setup in working condition (1992 Explorer 246G). However, I am restyling the helm and want the new controls with indicator lights. I was advised to purchase a specific type of kit that would allow my current system to operate the new control switches. That kit includes new sensor rods, upper hinges, additional sensor wiring, etc. This would also require a new hole through the transom for the electronic sensor wires. It almost seems simpler to install new electronic actuators with the new control switch, and remove the hydraulic system completely. The kit vs the new actuators' cost is negligible.
So, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go all electric?
It seems that the electric wire for the new actuators would go through the same upper hinge hole used by the previous hydraulic line. Can anyone advise?
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Bennett hydraulic tabs have lasted you all these years. I have them on my 25 yo boat. I would stay with them.

I use the Lenco electrics on a boat 20 years ago. Nothing but trouble. Maybe on a small boat that doesn't stay in the water. For me electric and water are a bad combo. If the shaft gets smutzed it could damage the seal and fill it with water.

Reactions: Miflinite

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure I would upgrade and install all the sensors, etc. just to get new controls. You got to really want it!

SMNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In my experience the bennett system is much more reliable, stick with them. Really no need for indicator lights on tabs as it's easy enough to go by feel. However, if you add the bennett auto trim pro kit to your boat with Garmin GBT10 you will have trim data over NMEA2k to be displayed on your MFD or another NMEA2k display

seasick

Reaction score
There is no right answer.
IMO put them up and pull the fuse. Use your motor trim
Very true in many cases. In some instances though, tabs come in handy when you are out with friends who carry extra 'ballast':)
As my fellow fishermen settle down on the way out and back, I often need some tab to correct for list

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mif, my thoughts are similar to above that hydraulic tabs are pretty much the king when it comes to reliability - as evidenced by how long they have lasted for you... and are still working strong.

I'd also like to note that in the many boats I have used, I have never found the need for indicators. There are too many other variables at play to try and rely on one particular setting. In my opinion, tab setting is almost entirely by the seat of your pants and by paying attention to the conditions and the boat's attitude. One setting one day may not be the same the next day... or even an hour later. The lights are pretty... but it's a lot like an engine trim gauge... it's only helpful when you're a newbie to using it (and "think" you need it).. it quickly becomes just decoration :)

This is also my opinion (but based on many different hulls with tabs)... I do like using both tabs and engine(s). I find that, generally, setting the engines at a neutral trim angle and then controlling the attitude with the tabs won't scrub off speed nearly as much as trimming the engines "in" would do. Trimming the engines in tends to push the bow down into the water (more hull in water equals more drag) while using tabs tends to control the bow and keep it from popping up (but not really pushing the bow down into the water so much).

Last edited:

cosmic

Reaction score
I was in a similar position when I bought my 88 Sailfish. It had a leaky pump, corroded trim switch, and actuators that were in an unknown state, so it all needed replaced. I went with the electric option because it was simpler and cheaper. Simpler because it only required changing the actuators and connecting the switch, and I got rid of the pump and constant smell of hydraulic fluid.

Electric is great. The tabs automatically reset position when the ignition is turned off and the indicators are nice to have. So simple I can't see why anyone would want to deal with hydraulic on boats our size, especially with outboards.

Miflinite

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I was in a similar position when I bought my 88 Sailfish. It had a leaky pump, corroded trim switch, and actuators that were in an unknown state, so it all needed replaced. I went with the electric option because it was simpler and cheaper. Simpler because it only required changing the actuators and connecting the switch, and I got rid of the pump and constant smell of hydraulic fluid.

Electric is great. The tabs automatically reset position when the ignition is turned off and the indicators are nice to have. So simple I can't see why anyone would want to deal with hydraulic on boats our size, especially with outboards.
Thank you for your response (others too). I have already moved forward with purchasing electric replacements. The Bennett Hydraulic tabs still working after 30 years (potentially) is no doubt a great testament to that time era quality, but I will feel better with new electric ones and two less holes in the transom. That said, anyone want to buy some time tested Bennett Hydraulic actuators with hydraulic pump?;)

Reactions: SkunkBoat