upgrade the cabin seperation wall

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
just thought i would post a few pics of what ive been working on. i went ahead and replaced these wood cabin seperators or bulkheads with fiberglass. i fiberglassed them and carpeted the back with black carpet. not the best pics but thats because i was busy working and forgetting the pics.

before:

AFTER:
71c9bfc73c.jpg
[/url][/img]

e4d76f4bb0.jpg
[/url][/img]

[/img]
b0f57ffd20.jpg
[/url]

sorry for the big pics im not sure how to resize

richie rich

Reaction score
Capt...when you say you replaced the wooden bulkheads with fiberglass, what exactly did you use? Was it fiberglass laminated wood? Solid fiberglass panels?

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
ahh sorry to mention that, well what i did was it had that orriginal ply wood which was in bad shape and wasent even connected at the bottom of the the wood to the boat anymore. so i ripped them out and went and bought some new plywood and on the outside i fiberglassed primered and painted and on the inside i ran just a basic coat of resin over the wood to seal it from water and then carpeted it... and then begin to mount it all back in. what do ya think? a good way to do it or should i have changed anything always love to hear the opinions thanks chris

blackgrady

Reaction score
great job, i think it looks fantastic. what an awesome way to make the boat look 10 years newer ya know? i think your headunit box looks factory and will surely keep the radio out of the elements!

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
man that really makes me feel good i appreciate it.....being 21 makes this boat alot of fun.....and a big learning experience.....and to get the opinion from some of you older guys helps thanks chris

richie rich

Reaction score
Looks good Capt........the new plywood will last years resin'd over....and the white outside looks better than the faux wood paneling from yesteryear...gave me some ideas for my application! I think I may do away with my fabric on the inside and use the teak laminate to update the look a little.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yeah i still got to get in their and varnish the teak door and stuff thats the last bit of teak i hae to do.next year i might go with a dark smoked plexi door. but well see how he teak does. but it really does make the boat look newer. and i was very impressed with how well the paint matched.. its called wimbleton white i think out of a spray can... as u can see matched very well.

black grady i feel i could have done the headunit box alot better but it was late and i was tired lol...

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
jack i appreciate it.. like i said i wasent really impressed with the headunit box but i know i can do better lol... i also put that access deck plate b.c i put my ipod inside lol. but as you can tell im not done i still have to relocate the battery and hide the wires. and it will be a complete job next comes the guages and switches updated with new back plates.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
Grouper could you post pics on here for me to see. i almost went that route but it seemed kinda expensive. so i went this route lol... thanks chris[/list]

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
lol i wasent meaning to direct that to your direction so much then.... but that is still a few years on me lol :lol:

ccscorpion200

Reaction score
Hey CAPT. DORADO, nice job, been wanting to do that to mine. I live here in Nederland, need some help? Will glad to help and learn something new, been playing around with spraying gelcoat and fixing my boat also, getting close to fishing season. :lol:

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yeah this is just fiberglass and paint i really should have put a few more coats on and maybe a clear but i didnt and still might i to have some gelcoat to do on the front of my boat where it was run up on a reef and is down to the fiberglass but thats its thank god so only needs some gel coat.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
i wouldnt mind helping except the fact i work out of tx and am gone most of the time... also i would say let me see how well mine holds up this season ya know as im no pro being that im 21 years old lol :)