Upgrade to hydraulic or electric steering systems

seasick

Reaction score
If you get 'lost' in the fog, a compass and/or your plotter will suffice. If you get blinded in the fog, radar will be a great help.
As a rule, even on autopilot, you shouldn't leave the helm while under power. If something gets in the way, the autopilot will steer you right into it.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hanke, I have hydraulic steering and auto pilot on my 208. For long runs and trolling it is a great addition. Doable install yourself on both, with the time and tools.........o ya patience.

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am thinking autopilot would be handy for trolling, I could take my hands and mind of driving for a moment to grab a jacket, sandwich, get fishing gear in to the water etc. maybe help me get back if I get caught in the fog?
No it won't help you in the fog. Look up what Garmin new Reactor autopiliot can do. It's not a a magic robot that can avoid obstacles. You can still hit things or be hit by things with auto pilot. In fact I'd say it's more dangerous because you don't have to pay attention to drive.

My friend had to pay $300 extra for an option to be able to grab the wheel and take over command from his Garmin autopliot on his Gulfstream. Otherwise he's have to go into a menu at high speed to deactivate. That's what he told me, I don't know much more than that. He goes on 150 mile trips regularly.

this happened right by my house with auto pilot LOL. o_O

Reactions: efx and PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
Hanke, I have hydraulic steering and auto pilot on my 208. For long runs and trolling it is a great addition. Doable install yourself on both, with the time and tools.........o ya patience.
Trapper, what year hull? Did you install the systems yourself and if so, did you have to unbolt and slide over the motor to get the old steering ram out?

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am not planning on taking a nap when on autopilot lol! I may not understand AP fully. I was thinking I could pick a set point and it would take me there? Of course I would be at the ready and alert to what is happening around me.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
No it won't help you in the fog. Look up what Garmin new Reactor autopiliot can do. It's not a a magic robot that can avoid obstacles. You can still hit things or be hit by things with auto pilot. In fact I'd say it's more dangerous because you don't have to pay attention to drive.

My friend had to pay $300 extra for an option to be able to grab the wheel and take over command from his Garmin autopliot on his Gulfstream. Otherwise he's have to go into a menu at high speed to deactivate. That's what he told me, I don't know much more than that. He goes on 150 mile trips regularly.

this happened right by my house with auto pilot LOL. o_O

Look at the prop wash of that ferry! Looks like a boomer sub out of SD.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My girlfriends brother just last spring retired as a Washington State ferry boat caption of 10 years an employed on the ferry boats for 40 yrs. He has some amazing stories of pleasure boats and ferry boat interactions; this is the fist I have hear of an autopilot incident. I would be a nervous wreck in an autonomous vehicle and would be very cautions and aware of my surroundings :)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I am not planning on taking a nap when on autopilot lol! I may not understand AP fully. I was thinking I could pick a set point and it would take me there? Of course I would be at the ready and alert to what is happening around me.
I have Simrad AP 44 on my 228 , I installed it myself, very easy providing you can hold a spanner .It will do that and you can override it just by turning the steering wheel.
I only use it once I get outside, set to my mark and keep a lookout for rogue waves , whales, boats etc. The good thing about it it will keep going the shortest route without snaking unlike manually steering watching the plotter. So it will save some time and fuel.
The other use for it in my case is trolling for marlin and tuna at 6-8 knots, in that case you don't have to keep a lookout as much due to the low speed and you can do other stuff too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holokai and trapper

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am looking at the AP44 VRF Medium Capacity Pack - AP44, NAC-2, Precision 9 & Pump-2.

Sounds like you use it how I am thinking of using it.

A question I have is with the main motor turned off will it steer my kicker motor which is tied to the main motor?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Auto pilot doesn't have anything to do with what form of propulsion you use as long as the vessel moves she will turn the rudder ( main engine has to be in the water ) and procced to the mark you set it up. If you don't have any marks the degrees you set it up for .
When I bought mine I bought it as a kit with everything needed to fit .
1633441645554.jpeg

1633441683319.jpeg
1633441788385.jpeg
1633441946955.jpeg
1633442004726.jpeg
1633442115136.jpeg

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice setup! What model Simrad is the 1st picture?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick, Did it myself. With hydraulic steering there is no need to change the ram etc. as the hydraulic pump is connected to the helm (seastar) with hydraulic lines. I have a 2006 208. Mine is a Furuno AP that comes with a remote control that has point and shoot feature for direction. I never leave the helm when running but I am able to leave when tolling 2-3 mph to deal with the catch. I had encouragement from Halfhitch and chats with Doc Stresor during the install as he was installing the same unit. To dodge an item in the water is the press of a button to return to manual steering then press again to return to auto. Great addition!

Reactions: hanke777

seasick

Reaction score
I thought tat you installed both the steering and the AP..
The original post stated that he was thinking of converting to hydraulic from mechanical. That conversion can be more complicated than adding AP to an existing hydraulic system. In your case, I was curious if you had trouble removing the steering cable but now it seems that is a moot point since you had hydraulic to begin with.
On some 208's it can be difficult to remove the steering cable at the motor due to the routing and limited space in the aft locker for the cable. My understanding is that it may be necessary to unbolt the motor and 'slide' it to port to get the cable off. At some time in the 208 lifeline, the starboard rigging tube was moved. I think it moved more to starboard and that allowed less sharp turn in the steering cable. I would like anyone who has replaced the steering cable on a 208 to comment on the process.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick, Don't know if this helps, but I changed my cable steering to installing a hydraulic systhem on my older Seaswirl. I cut the steering rod to remove the whole thing without removing the F 150. Do not remember if I cut the cable also to get it all out. The seastar system a was fairly easy install just the bleedings of the lines was and is always a pain.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I run twin Yamaha 300's and have the new helmaster electric steering and love it (Freedom 285). Very precise, smooth, and thus far, reliable (only 75 hours on it). It's also very nicely integrated into a Yamaha autopilot. I think a retrofit like this would cost well north of $15k for a single, and probably $20k+ for twins. I've run a friends boat with twin Yamaha 200's with hydraulic steering and its night and day.

Reactions: wrxhoon

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The Helm master looks amazing! A bit much for me but amazing.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What brand of electronics do you have and are you planning on upgrading those as well? It looks like both Garmin and Simrad have an autopilot system for mechanical steering. I'd recommend going with a hydraulic steering unit, but if you're fine with keeping the mechanical linkage then it's possible to do with what you already have. I for one would rather put the money towards hydraulic steering, new electronics and radar as opposed to autopilot as I don't think I'd use it very often. Of course that's just my opinion and what would work best for my particular application/fishing style.

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
1997 Grady White 208 Adventure
2002 Yamaha 200hp fourstroke.

I have a 2019 Garman Echomap UHD 74SV WITH GT54UHD-TM.

Want to add SeaStar Hydraulic Steering. Not sure what model I need.
Want to add Simrad AP44 VRF autopilot. Not sure what model I need.
Want to add High thrust outboard kicker motor bracket.
Want to add Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker motor. Not sure what model I need.

The more I learn the less I understand. :)

seasick

Reaction score
Seasick, Don't know if this helps, but I changed my cable steering to installing a hydraulic systhem on my older Seaswirl. I cut the steering rod to remove the whole thing without removing the F 150. Do not remember if I cut the cable also to get it all out. The seastar system a was fairly easy install just the bleedings of the lines was and is always a pain.
You raised a good point. If could be a lot easier cutting the old cable and/or rod than replacing a steering cable in tight spaces.

seasick

Reaction score
1997 Grady White 208 Adventure
2002 Yamaha 200hp fourstroke.

I have a 2019 Garman Echomap UHD 74SV WITH GT54UHD-TM.

Want to add SeaStar Hydraulic Steering. Not sure what model I need.
Want to add Simrad AP44 VRF autopilot. Not sure what model I need.
Want to add High thrust outboard kicker motor bracket.
Want to add Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker motor. Not sure what model I need.

The more I learn the less I understand. :)

You are actually making progress. The more you understand what you don't know, the better you will attack a project by seeking the wisdom of those who know more. The first place to go is manufacturers websites. Once you are totally confused, call sales and support and have a chat. They will know best in most cases. Of course, there will always be helpful folks on this forum but it helps to do your homework first so that you can ask better questions'

On your last point; Good lick finding a 9.9 kicker:)