Upgrades for 09 season on my 265

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
0424091537.jpg

Custom built shelf to hold my Craftsman tool set under the v berth.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're still busy!

I like the center rigger, how would you rate it's usefulness?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For me, the center rigger will help a ton, I typically troll an 8 rod spread, I'd go 9 but no room for more rods unless I add rod holders and honestly there is not enough room to add them and make them useful. I like to troll one WWB off the rigger, and one closer down the middle about even with the bars off my outriggers. A lot of big fish were taken down the middle this year on rainbow green machines or mini mamba bars in that location. I like to take the stress off my rod tips when possible so my gear lasts longer, and I get less wear on my line. I also perfer to get my center lines as high as possible, getting them higher then a rod tip would be helps a lot, for pulling bars or birds you do want them to troll properly and not be dipping in, now I can set my lures back further and still get the proper action. If you have the rod space, double rigging is the way to go, it allows you to get a lure or bar down the middle of the spread where many guys leave a gap, or they place the lure there and skip having one way way back. On every boat I've fished, we've always been more productive no matter how good or bad the bite on a boat rigged with a center rigger, it maes the spread that much more effective.

That was the last of my projects for the spring. Boat goes in Wed morning so now it is time to go use it and enjoy it. Already planning a few more upgrades for next season, but not as extensive of a list.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Gradyfish22
I'm planning on doing some offshore trolling this year , I plan on trolling four rods of the gunnels and use my rocket launcher for the center rod will this work or am I wasting my time without outriggers?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can surely get 4 rods off the gunnels and 1 down the middle and you are not wasting your time. Key is pulling the right lures to make your spread look big from below, using spreader bars or birds will add commotion, which is especially needed on calm days. As stated above, trolling more isn;t always good but my normal crew is effective at clearing rods and we keep the transom clear and open to make things a little easier. If the bite gets red hot we might reduce our rods to keep things from being too hectic, but when on the scout I like to look as big as I can from below. I'll send you a pm with some tips and tricks I've learned, for inshore tuna fishing you do not have to break the bank either, you can troll very simple lures and be very productive.

RJTFD

Reaction score
Thanks Gradyfish22
I appreciate your help im new to offshore fishing on my own. I've always gone with other people and never really paid to much attention to how they were putting out there spreads or what they were putting out.
Any help is greatly appreciated

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very cool. Good pics.

I like the lighting idea, been thinking of doing something more for the cockpit for nightime outings.