upgrading from gulfstream to a 265

rk2633

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Gulfstream with 150 hpdi's. I am looking to go a little bigger and am looking at a 2005 265. Asking for info on ride and performance differences as well as economy. I fish mostly North East Atlantic, and spend some time in the bays as well. My thoughts are that when in the ocean, the longer hull will cut the wave a little bit better than the Gulfstream.

eppem

Reaction score
Lots of 265 owners who are hear to help. I have on 03 with F225s, so I guess the first question is what year and how is she powered? Some of the earlier models were replaced with four-strokes and I guess they are aft heavy and the scuppers sit below the water line - not a good thing.

Otherwise the boat is a beast. At home at the local swimming hole, off Montauk or offshore. I am sure that others will chime in - don't get flipped out about what you might read about the boat riding funny, etc. Many who have complained over trim and over tab - here to help!

Also, if you look at a boat with the first generation F225s, go look for and ask about the corrosion issue in the dry exhaust. It seems to have no rhyme or reason, some engines are effected and others are not but it is a real issue and needs to be addressed on the front end of your deal. If you have other questions you can always call me too - PM me for my phone number.

Good luck!

EPPE

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
personally, l wouldn't do that. you would be moving to a boat that is very close in size to what you have now. when we bought our '02 gulfstream, the 265 was part of the comparision.

imho, i think you would be more satisfied moving into the marlin/30 express range.

fwiw, we upgraded to a 330 in '09. on the initial splash, that thing was huge. last week, i couldn't believe how small it got. :)

take some time and do some test drives.

good luck, ron

rk2633

Reaction score
eppem said:
Lots of 265 owners who are hear to help. I have on 03 with F225s, so I guess the first question is what year and how is she powered? Some of the earlier models were replaced with four-strokes and I guess they are aft heavy and the scuppers sit below the water line - not a good thing.

Otherwise the boat is a beast. At home at the local swimming hole, off Montauk or offshore. I am sure that others will chime in - don't get flipped out about what you might read about the boat riding funny, etc. Many who have complained over trim and over tab - here to help!

Also, if you look at a boat with the first generation F225s, go look for and ask about the corrosion issue in the dry exhaust. It seems to have no rhyme or reason, some engines are effected and others are not but it is a real issue and needs to be addressed on the front end of your deal. If you have other questions you can always call me too - PM me for my phone number.

Good luck!

EPPE
The ones I have looked at are 04's and 05's , powered with f225's. what trim issues do they speak of? I am aware of the issue though with the 4 strokes and have a mechanic on standby to scope the engine and check, thanks for the heads up though. I know its not a large jump from my gulfstream, but I would thick the 3 ft of more hull and a little more weight will ride a bit better in the slop, but still allow me to play inside the bays. Plus, the size will still allow me to go out solo when the mood and weather permits, especially during the week when all friends are working.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm not trying to sell you on anything, but i really suggest some test drives before you write off a larger hull (even the 28/29 range if you don't want to go further up). fwiw, i go out most of the time by myself. the thruster helps a lot in cross winds, but other than that, it's an easy to handle boat. a friend with another 330 goes out solo also.

as far as draft goes, there isn't a lot of difference once you get to the size you are looking at.

good luck, ron

rk2633

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
i'm not trying to sell you on anything, but i really suggest some test drives before you write off a larger hull (even the 28/29 range if you don't want to go further up). fwiw, i go out most of the time by myself. the thruster helps a lot in cross winds, but other than that, it's an easy to handle boat. a friend with another 330 goes out solo also.

as far as draft goes, there isn't a lot of difference once you get to the size you are looking at.

good luck, ron

TKS, I appreciate the advise. I thought a bit about the 305 exp as well, just not sure of the economy numbers with 2 / 250's as most have. what are you getting with your 330?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'm not sure 350's are needed in the 28 to 30 range (even the 330's were running 300hp prior to 2008) the new f300's or f250's would be great.

with the 350's, i get 1 to 1.1 mpg across the cruise range. that's full fuel and half water. more towards 1.1 as the fuel burns off. i use xl4 props which actually nick the economy, but seriously improve control and handling. it runs 8+ tons wet.

as far as the f225's go. have them scoped and factor "time to a repower" into any price offer. a marlin in my marina was repowered with the new f250's (from 2 strokes); owner loves them.

ron

wound up in a different thread?

billyttpd

Reaction score
Tell a little bit more about the Gulfstream..how many hours...what would you be looking to get for it?

eppem

Reaction score
Trim issues I have read in the past are from guys running the 265 with too much "trim tab" usage. The tabs on this boat are sensitive and only slight adjustments are needed. Like I said the boat is a beast. I say move up from what you have to the 265, if anything I must hold a ton more fuel then what you have now?

Not at all at tilt trim issue...sorry for any confusion.

rk2633

Reaction score
eppem said:
Trim issues I have read in the past are from guys running the 265 with too much "trim tab" usage. The tabs on this boat are sensitive and only slight adjustments are needed. Like I said the boat is a beast. I say move up from what you have to the 265, if anything I must hold a ton more fuel then what you have now?

Not at all at tilt trim issue...sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the info, I also heard that the later models with the slight hull change ride a bit closer to the hull I have now on my Gulfstream.

rk2633

Reaction score
billyttpd said:
Tell a little bit more about the Gulfstream..how many hours...what would you be looking to get for it?
It's 2001 232 Gulfstream with twin 150 HPDI's. Boat has approx. 550 hours. Full enclosure, very clean. Have replaced both trim units last year with brand new Yamaha parts because one was slowing and getting sticky. Engine maintained by friend who works for Yamaha. replaced draws under both seats with draw units from current models ones, cleaner looking and no glass door to worry about. Lewmar pro fish windlass,