Upgrading to a hardtop on 2007 seafarer 226

fairhopefisher

Reaction score
I think I would be much happier with the hardtop for my seafarer than the current "vista top" Any recommendations regarding grady dealer install vs aftermarket company? I am also wondering about what this would cost. I also have concerns regarding headroom b/c I'm about 6 foot 6 inches. I fit great under the vista top (bimini with enclosure curtains). Thanks for the advice!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know what it will cost you but the hardtop will be even higher than the Vista top .
If you want to sell your clear enclosure curtains I'm interested but I need to know in the next few days, I only need the clear front and side curtains not the vista top, I have that. By the way they will not suit the hardtop .

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002, with a Vista top.

Had a custom top made six months later by S&S Marine in Norfolk, VA. Cost was about $3800.

Full enclosure with 30-wt Eisenglass was made by Mike's Custom Marine Canvas in Virginia Beach. About $1,800.

Tip: Have the aft frame member at the back of the hardtop, not a foot or so forward as GW does it. This makes the aft drop curtain more vertical, for more room inside. It also allows the storage of rods under the hardtop. We have ten pairs of Lee rod holders, as well as a custom-made grab rail down the centerline.

Get me your email and I'll send you some photos.

Brian

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
On a factory top on the 228 the aft frame is verticle. I read Brian's post and was confused but perhaps on bigger boats Grady adds more of a sweep or angle to the rear supports. My only advice is to not add side mounted rod holders. The way the rear jump seats are the side mounted holders really get in the way in rough seas because one's head can bump into them.