Upgradying Speakers in 02 Marlin 300

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
I was looking to upgrade the speakers in the helm and cabin this year, but since I have the boat currently winterized, I can't see the size of the existing speakers. Does anyone know offhand what the sizes are for the ones in the helm vs the ones in the cabin on a '02 Marlin 300? Any help would be great.. thanks in advance!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are the kenwood's by chance, my 2002 265 had kenwood's(Mine were KFC 1650 MRW) and they have seen their day. I just purchased Infinity 602M speakers to replace them, they are 6.5" speakers. I am not 100% positive they are the same as what is in your boat, but it is very likely they are if they were installed by the factory. Hopefully others will chime in with Marlin's to confirm this. I will have the speakers in in a week, I will let you know how they sound.

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
They are Kenwoods. I figured they would be 6.5" vs the 7.7". The Kenwoods sound as if they were blown. I bought this boat about a year ago. The boat is in great condition, except for the sound system. Quite a minor problem on a boat, but it's great listening to tunes while fishing....I wasn't sure if the ones in the cabin were the same size. They actually looked smaller.. I was looking into JL audio speakers, but defintely let me know how the infinity speakers sound.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JL's are the best quality speaker out there in the marine industry. I work for a large boat builder and all our boats that get upgraded systems go to them, but unless you are running an amp and wan tto spend $400 a pair, they are not worth it. If you aren;t running them off an amp they will never fully reach their potential and their are cheaper speakers that will perform very close to the JL's for half the price. I will let you know how the Infinity's sound, they are 75watt rms and 225 watt peak, far more then what my reciever is putting out, and infinity speakers are always very clear and crisp and every review I read they also commecnted on good bass quality and they got very good ratings on the sites I looked on. Got them off Ebay for under $100 for the pair, could have saved another $10 on there but I went with a seller with the best rating, I'd rather buy from a guy with no problems then save $10 and take a chance with a seller who has had issues before, still cheaper then in a store.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Ya JL's are the way to go
I think like 3 years ago they made a true marine speaker that was wax coated

bc282

Reaction score
just bench tested the new deck and Infinity Kappa 602M speakers.

Did some research and for the price, the 602M for my 282 GW was the best choice. Good sound quality, moderate price, good durability/longevity.

On the bench > Clarion M475 deck, Clarion remote, and a pair of 602M's

They sounded pretty good (not fantastic compared to my home stereo, but hey i didn't spend thousands!)

The original kenwood deck works ok, but doesn't play MP3 CD's nor has a mini jack for an iPod/mp3 player thus being replaced. The forward cabin speakers are still ok and am not replacing them, but the 6.5" cockpit speakers were sounding terrible and were literally disintegrating to pieces.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bc282, they sell a cable that connects in the rear of the radio(where the cd changer would go) and you get a set of RCA inputs, this is where you can connect your i-pod. I did the same thing on mine, now i have to change the speakers to JL's.

bc282

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
bc282, they sell a cable that connects in the rear of the radio(where the cd changer would go) and you get a set of RCA inputs, this is where you can connect your i-pod. I did the same thing on mine, now i have to change the speakers to JL's.

hmmm, wish i would have known that about the RCA inputs. Most aux. stuff hooks up with the use of a mini jack (which the M475 has directly on the deck's face). I don't have an ipod but flash mp3 player which uses a mini jack so that was what i had in mind.

I just won off an ebay retailer a new Clarion marine 4ch amp (APX480M) for $112 so i guess i'm adding an amp to the system too :D