Upholstery Scientists

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just throwing a well deserved jab here … Have a beautiful set of factory cushions that snap on the exterior of the trunk cabin. They have been stored indoors at home or down below in the V berth so they look almost new. However upon further examination I noticed that the “Staple Scientist” had used something other then stainless steel staples on the back side of the cushions Has anyone else observed this kind of nonsense? or may it have been a possibility a previous owner did this ? All the staples have rusted completely away … I guess I can shoot in the proper staples since the others are now dissolved wtf were they thinking ?E6ABEBB6-BE34-4114-B72A-5F6C96389307.jpegE6ABEBB6-BE34-4114-B72A-5F6C96389307.jpeg

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Im going with previous owner or a bootleg upholstery guy that redid that breathable fabric.. kinda looks like phifertex fabric. what does that tag say ? is it O.E ? Dont think Grady would make that mistake

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yep. Monel are required. Can get ‘em off Amazon. Pull one out to size it if needed. I never saw that done before.

seasick

Reaction score
Yup. If you look at some of the stainless steel staple options boxes in the big stores, they say "Not for marine applications"

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not sure why the staples are even there, not sure there is something to staple to? Can you just pull the staples out? I'll have to check mine to see if they are there.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure why the staples are even there, not sure there is something to staple to? Can you just pull the staples out? I'll have to check mine to see if they are there.
Going to check again next time I’m at the house Dan. Weather sucks again this weekend (gotta love middle earth here in the northeast) I had the same question myself. Those staples are all rusted away. The cushions etc look practically new. They were stored and rarely used. .