UPS Sucks

bhemi

Reaction score
I live in Canada and ordered two new tank senders from Florida Marine Tanks. I asked them not to use UPS but they did against my wishes. They arrived today late. Plus UPS charged me $39.10 to "clear customs" when there is no duty on items manufactured in the US. Fedex doesn't charge this, not even the USPS. They added 40% to the cost of a simple item. They said if I didnt want to pay they would ship it back. Nice. I'm just posting this to advise anyone ordering from the US NOT to ever use UPS.

jethro99

Reaction score
UPS

Maybe UPS has been instructed by Canadian Customs to impose duties and levies on all goods they ship into Canada. If this is the case, you can't fault UPS. Why would goods of US origin be excluded from Canadian Customs in the first place?

bhemi

Reaction score
No it's just an extra charge

There are NO duties on goods manufactured in the US or Canada shipped between the two countries. Believe it or not we have a free trade agreement (NAFTA) between our two countries and Mexico as well.

We have to pay our national (GST) and provincial (PST) taxes. Those taxes on the sender were about $13. UPS charged me $39.10 to collect those taxes. No other shipper that I've used, FedEx, US Postal Service or DHL charges this. This is on top of the shipping fee I already paid. They do it because they can hold your goods hostage unless you pay the ransom is how I look at it. I'm just warning any other Canadians on this site to avoid the brown behemoth if they can.