US Virgin Islands

langski93

Reaction score
My wife and I won a trip (our choice of destination) worth $3500 plus the cost of airfare. I have to use before May 1, and since my wife is a school teacher we thought we would go to the Virgin Islands when she is on February vacation. I would love any feedback on the US Virgins Islands, good, bad and or suggestions on what to do while there, where to stay, good restaurants, places to avoid etc. If you know of alternatives to USVI we should consider i would also appreciate that. We have never been to the Caribbean, so its all new to us. Many thanks.

langski93

LongTimeLoafer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very, very broad issue. St. Thomas is good for shopping; St. John's is good for relaxing. I think that it really depends on what you expect -- solitude, beautiful beaches, shopping, night life, fishing,?

There are many web sites which can help you understand the differences.

mashenden

Reaction score
While it has been years (mid '70), I plan to return to St Johns one day. It is mostly a protected state park so it should be relatively unspoiled (I hope). The snorkeling was good right from the excellant beaches... and its the good ole USA (more or less:)). Back when I was there, the island only had "cabana" accomodations, that had block walls on either side and screen walls for their front and back, as well as an enclosed bathroom. It was a blast, but not to be mistaken for 5 star. I believe they still have somehting like that as an option, as well as a resort or two that have now been bulit there. I can't tell you anything about them, though.

If you go, please give an update.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LongTimeLoafer said:
Very, very broad issue. St. Thomas is good for shopping; St. John's is good for relaxing. I think that it really depends on what you expect -- solitude, beautiful beaches, shopping, night life, fishing,?

There are many web sites which can help you understand the differences.

Loafer is correct. YOU really have to decide what fits your style of vacation as the islands can be very different in whats offered(relaxation, excitement, gambling, great dining). That being said, don't overlook the BVI as there are some great places there as well. You say $3500 not including airfare, so you should be able to stay at a pretty decent place for that money. The airfare is going to be the same whether you stay at the best or the worst place so I say live it up a bit. Also, I would rather stay at a great place for 5 nights than a mediocre place for 7 nights. Enjoy yourself, wherever you decide.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Virgin Gorda in the BVI is my favorite - beautiful, safe not overly commercialized
Since it is brittish you need a passport-

striped bass

Reaction score
We have been to the BVIs several times and loved every minute. On each trip we chartered a sailboat from one of the major companies and got to see most of the islands. The charter companies offer captained vessels which would be the way we would go now because it gives you more time to see the islands. The charter companies now have motor vessels as well.
Legend is correct, Virgin Gorda is gorgeous with terrific scenery and has some really top notch places to stay. The Bitter End Yacht Club and Peter Island Resort are two of them. Mashenden also has a good point in that St.Johns has lovely preserved parks and is well worth seeing. Hope you have a good trip.
BTW we all expect to see some really nifty pics when you return. :>)

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I like bayrats advice to stay shorter but at a better hotel. I plan on lots of R&R with some boating and or fishing. The wife and daughter can shop and beach it. BVI actually sounds like a good day trip. I will update everyone after the trip

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are so many options down there. You can charter a sail or powerboat and cruise around and stay on the boat. (The British side is actually better for cruising and we have always used The Moorings out of Tortolla.)

The last time we went we rented a house with a pool on St. John. I have to say it was our best trip yet, beacuse the house was within walking distance to The Westin resort, we were able to take advantage of the Westin diving charters, spa, workout room, etc. Mark Shackleford at Sea View homes rented our house to us and he is first class. http://www.seaviewhomes.com/.

The highlight for the wife was having Ted Robinson come to the house and cook for us. I think if you google Ted's Supper Club you can track him down. You really can't go wrong, have a great trip!

jtsailjt

Reaction score
I've sailed the BVI's several times and vacationed both on St. Thomas and St. Johns and I really like the advice of Robinson above. My first choice would be to charter a catamaran and choose several of the BVI's over the course of the week, but that would cost more than $3500. St'. Thomas really doesn't have a lot of night life (The Green Room across the street from the ferry terminal has a good happy hour but after one or two of those....) and it's nowhere near as pretty and unspoiled as St. Johns is and there's a lot more crime on St. Thomas. The eco-resort on St. Johns at the far end of the island from the ferry is really nice but unless the one at Cinnamon Bay has been updated recently, I wouldn't recommend it. Someone else described the tent villages, with hard floors and some hard walls, with other walls of canvas and a tent roof. They're very well done but not fancy, but since the temperature is always in the 70's or 80's you'd be very comfortable. It's not like you're tenting out and have to go for a walk through the jungle to use the bathroom. It's like being in a house and leaving the windows open at night so you can hear the sounds and have plenty of fresh air. But his idea of renting a house out there sounds great too. That could be your headquarters and you can snorkle or scuba dive or charter a boat/ferry over to Jost van Dyke or even way up the Sir Francis Drake Channel to the Bitter End YC, and hike or just hang out out on beautiful, unspoiled beaches or rent a sailboat or motorboat for a day trip. They even have a couple of bars near the ferry if you want a taste of more traditional night life, but it's not like a big city night club, more like a place to have a drink on the beach. You really can't go wrong. Have fun!