USB charging ports dead

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I tried my USB charging ports yesterday and found both dead. As the boat is new to me this was the first time I would have used one. The normal 12V cig ports work but not the usb ones. Does anyone know if they have a different feed circuit from the 12V ones and if there is a fuse, and where it would be? Maybe they are behind some switch??
would hate to disassemble everything to look for something that's not there.

seasick

Reaction score
Are they factory ports? What boat model?

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Yes freedom 335. One port at helm and one in cabin next to switch panel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If there's no on/off switch... I'd start by checking your fuse panel(s). I imagine you can find the fuse panel faster than I can from where I am :) I think if you just start poking around, you'll find the fuse panel - it's always somewhere that's accessible. It might even tell you where it is in your owner's manual.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On my Seafarer, “accessible“ means flat on your back, looking at a black, unlabeled fuse block up behind the helm.
On a boat, that's actually pretty much par for the course! :)

I'm going to assume that on a newer, larger boat the access has been made better? I hope.......

Greysailor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Go behind the USB plug, and check if the wires are hot with a 12v test light. They might just be switched, + on the neg. It will keep the USB plug from not working.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did you check the wiring diagram in the boat manual? They are not the best but should show if fused.

seasick

Reaction score
Did you check the wiring diagram in the boat manual? They are not the best but should show if fused.
I guaranty that the outlets are fused somewhere:)

I would call Grady and ask them to look up the circuitry for the USB ports ( I assume they were factory installed)

Reactions: Rathunter

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
1. Fuse panels are checked out. All fuses good and powered. None labeled specifically for usb but two of them for acc and they both are powered. They are behind the helm dash and easily accessible from head.
2. I'm trying to avoid to have to go behind the usb as both are hard to get to. One in cabin requires removal of ac and dc switch panel, breaker panel. The other one at helm I cannot reach from behind might have to remove aircon outlet as usb is next to it.
3. Just strange that both of these are dead while all 12V cig lighter outlets are live.
4. Manual did not come with wiring diagram, they stopped to include them. Will have to ask for this circuit direct from GW.

away for a few days so next week again at boat to work it out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you try a known-good USB accessory to make sure the issue is actually the outlets?

Did you try with the engines on?

What about the question that was asked regarding whether or not there is a dash (or cabin) switch to turn on that circuit?

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
There is no dash switch for acc.
I did try with my phone to charge and did same from cig lighter outlets with a USB adapter, they worked but not the usb ones.
I don't think I tried them with engines running, ignition on yes. I did have generator running and the voltmeter on cig outlet showed 14 some Volts.
I would think they share a feed from one of the acc fuses since only those two are dead. So following those wires as far as I can will be next step. Assisted with a wiring diagram I hope, and I believe all wires are marked in plain text.
one thing that just came to mind;
could they be only data ports and not charging ones? Hard to believe as I do not have the tv / video option just the enhanced audio with the Fusion package. So what would they connect to if they were data?

next week when I'm back I will dig deeper on the boat and will ask GW for wiring diagrams and opinions.

thanks for all ideas and thoughts.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
OK, recheck on fuse panel revealed USB also. two 5A fuses all good. Did not need a wiring diagram for this.
So Bit the bullet and unscrewed the 4 screws for the main DC/AC panel and got access to the cabin USB. Guess what...................It was never connected so connecting the wires and Voila, the cabin USB port is all working.
So now I have to assume that same applies to the helm USB. This one is unfortunately impossible to get to without cutting the caulking and removing the side panel holding cupholders. Not doing it now so that will wait.
Lesson 1. Make sure to check fusebox labeling properly and then check power at the wires out.
Lesson 2. Dont assume that all is connected at the factory.
thanks for all input.
H

Reactions: Angler Management

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
USB ports are factory installed, but obviously never hooked up. Wires were there ready but loose.

seasick

Reaction score
Another example of poor quality control. It is upsetting.

Reactions: Pfu

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Actually, Grady is pretty good. Seems like they were nice enough to pre-wire the boat for the USB ports... but Beyond A Wake cheaped out and didn't order the option to have them hooked up ;)

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
hey, hey, I'm not the first owner :cool:............... anyway easy fix for the one the second requires some cutting the caulk and getting behind the panel next to the helm.
I think GW so far is very robust maybe even too heavy and quality and coming from a Pursuit my expectations were already set high. Only complaint is accessibility to wiring and some components, like BATTERIES...........
Happy so Far and GW customer service are helpful.

H